free hit
counters
Fuel Sender Not Working - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
superdavelotus

Fuel Sender Not Working

Hi all,

I have my car in the garage having various different work and one is fuel gauge not working. I know it's at the sender end as I reversed the wires and gauge is working fine. Sender is now out of the car and has been tested on a multimeter. Tests show it works for first 10% then shorts itself out. It's been stripped and clean but it's not looking good.

So basically I need a new one fast! These are obsolete now and I've tried Lotusbits etc.

I know it's a Smiths unit but looking at it, I think Lotus modified it from something else anyway because the float rod has been soldered and modified.

So does anyone have a spare one? I know it's a long shot. Even if it's on loan and they need it back or I will replace with a new one when I find one. Driving round with gauge permanently on empty and choke light on is not good. I hate having anything lit up on a dash board.

David Walters

PS. It's listed on SJ site but they don't have any in stock incase anyone suggests this.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There is one for sale on ebay at the moment (saw it ten minutes ago - just search for Esprit fuel sender).

Thanks for that Neil. I spotted it earlier this evening. Unfortunately it's not an Esprit fuel sender. Some sellers really bug me when wrongly listing things as I could have easily bought this had I not taken my old one out. furthermore, I think it's an Elite one as I clocked a few of these on PNM's shelf that looked identical to the one listed.

The Esprit one looks like one Lotus have modified from another unit hence the soldered lenghtened float like this one

A082L6032F.jpg

Also one from Ebay hasn't got any holes which backs up that Iam 99% sure it's for an Elite!

Thanks again Neil for looking anyway, it was much appreciated!

David Walters

No probs dave, I noticed it whilst having a general nose.

That worries me though, as I bought one of these for my car two months ago - might have to compare it to your photo now!

Quick update,

My existing fuel sender was fixed in minutes by PNM. They stripped it and did a bit of magic on it and now it works! I can now see how much fuel I have which is reassuring!

Oh, just had reply back from SJ, it doesn appear that they have them on stock afterall. £66 delivered.

Regards,

David Walters