free hit
counters
Fuel, Electrics, both or neither? - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Neville

Fuel, Electrics, both or neither?

Just got my S3 N/A back from service MOT etc. and running fine so took for run. No problems and good as new for hour or so then . . .

Completely lost power and stopped. No warning lights . Occassionally I can get going again and runs for 5 secs or so then stops again.

2 obviously possible issues but not sure which is cause (if either !!)

1. Spring at rear of back carb (nearest cabin) has become disconnected and lying loose but can't see what it connects to? Is this just a secondary return spring? as the coil springs on each carb (with connecting rod) seem to close carbs OK when throttle off.

2. Electrical connector block which seems to join Speed Limiter into loom has a wire come astray - bugger to reconnect as no room to work and no slack in wire but . . the wire that has come astray just goes into block and had no connection coming away so does it matter if not physically in block?

Cant convince myself whether it sounds like a fuel issue or the speed limiter is shutting off ignition due to loose wire - grateful if anyone has any thoughts.

Nev

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Disconnect speed limiter (it will run without it).

Spring? can't picture where you mean.

Put timing light or other mechanism of detecting spark on it, look whether it sparks while it's dying.

post-5027-126929357472_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andy and sorry not to respond sooner.

Have attached pictures of spring if that helps.

I'd guess that's a helper spring for the the choke return, so as you state the choke can be taken off without issue, rule that spring out of the list of possible issues.

Is it worth simply removing the 8 machine screws (bolts with thread all the way) that secure the tops to the carbs (having had the ignition on recently before doing it) and that way you can check that the fuel height is similar across both carbs, so probably rule out float height (unlikely to suddenly fail in both at the same time). You can also rule out significant debris that way.

Andy

Check the fuel pump shut off..should be on the RH rear wheel arch..if there's a red button sticking up, push it back in again!! Check that you can hear the fuel pump running when you have the ignition on...check you are getting sparks...check the HT lead from the ignition to the distributor. Check to see if fuel is getting to the carbs by disconnecting the fuel pipe, putting it in a suitable container (old tin, jam jar) and turning on the ignition...

That should at least tell you if the problem is lack of sparks or lack of fuel. The connector in the igniton circuit between the distributor sensor and the ignition box (3 wires) also causes trouble.

Not much of a sequence there....more random thoughts than anything else...but first thing is to sort out the Sparks/Fuel thing. Good luck.....wonderfully character building, the Esprit....

Thanks for the replies guys.

As its bank holiday I should really be out driving but I now have the opportunity to try out your suggestions.

Will let you know how it goes.

ps birmingham screwdriver new one on me!

best wishes Nev

Thanks for helpful replies guys.

Upshot is:

No sparks turned out to be ignition amplifier gone US.

Now fixed and out and about today running sweetly . Thanks again.

Nev

Funny, from the angle that the photograph has been taken it looks like your fuel line is running directly into the intake manifold from the carb :D

Glad you got it fixed.