free hit
counters
McLaren MP4-12C - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

McLaren MP4-12C

Seen a few of the write ups now and the only criticism seems to be the looks not having enough POW and the performance being extremely efficient and undramatic.

Lookswise I think its good and I'd rather not feel like I was driving an impending Carbon coffin of death, so all good then!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just talking to some of the team at the factory. The test drives were all done during Jan, but with a press embargo until today.

It sounds like its been a nervous wait to see what the journalists put in print so they are really pleased with the great reviews.

A bit less weight would be nice. No other complaints, I think it's perfection.

basically, It should be called Esprit,

if you think about it, what's Lotus's excuse for NOT making this car?

this is what the Evora should have been.

1) yeah,

2)I also like the Evora. only it's in a different league.

If it would be that easy, an Esprit S2.2 could also be more like the MP4-12C. Although I love my S2.2

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

A bit less weight would be nice. No other complaints, I think it's perfection.

basically, It should be called Esprit,

Totally disagree. Lotus is all about simplicity. The McLaren has more systems on it than the space shuttle. it's a tremendous achievement and a highly-desirable car but it's no Lotus. Just re-read the rave reviews the Evora got for its steering and ride/handling compromise without resorting to active suspension management. Would it be heresy to say that the McLaren brings to mind the NSX when it came out? Raises the game more than it raises the pulse rate.

And as to thinking the Evora should have been the same as the McLaren, was the world ready for a £160,000+ Lotus back then? We are still debating whether the world is ready for that now after Mr. Behar's efforts to prepare the ground.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Totally disagree. Lotus is all about simplicity. The McLaren has more systems on it than the space shuttle. it's a tremendous achievement and a highly-desirable car but it's no Lotus. Just re-read the rave reviews the Evora got for its steering and ride/handling compromise without resorting to active suspension management. Would it be heresy to say that the McLaren brings to mind the NSX when it came out? Raises the game more than it raises the pulse rate.

And as to thinking the Evora should have been the same as the McLaren, was the world ready for a £160,000+ Lotus back then? We are still debating whether the world is ready for that now after Mr. Behar's efforts to prepare the ground.

point >>>>> missed.

Lotus are supposed to be at the cutting edge of car design/development so we are always being told, yet what have they got to show for it?

McLaren have used Ricardo heavily for the MP4-12C, you know, another automotive engineering consultancy (ie. not Lotus)

McLaren zero history in making road cars other than 100 odd F1's (for the record, I think probably one of the most iconic cars ever), whereas Lotus have many years at it.

My point is why did Lotus not make this car? yes it's full of technology, but, apart from the tub manufacturing, none of it is 'new' as such.

instead, Lotus make the Evora, a 2+2 that nobody wanted, underpspec'ed, over-priced etc.

who do you think will sell the most?

Edited by Scuffers

Mclaren are a very technology focused company though, completely different to the Lotus ethos.

I think the MPC4-12C sums them up perfectly and I would not be surprised to see a V2.34 at some point

Both have great F1 heritage but differ dramatically in terms of their cultures.

A Lady I know may be buying a MP4 12C she told me that when they visited the headquarters, even the screw heads in the workshops all line up, and the tiles on the floor are all perfect I.e non are cut for the width. This tells you something about how fastidous they are as a company, Big Ron manages with an iron fist..

The Mclaren is supposed to be light years ahead of it's competition. Aluminium electrics, light weight battery etc

Lotus in the past are more of "grab that bit of chicken wire from the fence will you, we need to make the engine cover"

Lotus are a great company with great soul, if the new Esprit is half the car that the MP4 12c is then it will be great.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

instead, Lotus make the Evora, a 2+2 that nobody wanted, underpspec'ed, over-priced etc.

I guess you dont have kids? I've been looking at getting a new car. Id love a Exige but not an option for me right now. Id love an Evora but cant quite stretch that far just now. BUT if I could I think that 2 plus 2 would be great for me!

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I guess you dont have kids? I've been looking at getting a new car. Id love a Exige but not an option for me right now. Id love an Evora but cant quite stretch that far just now. BUT if I could I think that 2 plus 2 would be great for me!

Buddsy

don't get me wrong, but I keep hearing about the 'if you had kids' argument for the Evora, however, the point is, how many of them have actually been sold and of them how many with the rear seats (if you exclude the launch spec cars)?

the very fact that you don't own one rather nails the point - if you could justify the cost, would you honestly buy this as a car to drive your kids around in compared to another equally priced 4 seat car?

Not being a 2+2 has hardly hurt Cayman sales has it?

I only have to be able to drop my kids at school and nursery so most of the time its is just me so if I had the money I would buy one over any other 4 seater. But I do know where you are coming from because the trouble is when you have small kids you dont have much money!! lol but there are people in the same situation as me but with more disposable income!

Im not sure how many have been sold but I always assumed most would be sold as 2+2 seems silly not to?

Buddsy

.instead, Lotus make the Evora, a 2+2 that nobody wanted, underpspec'ed, over-priced etc.who do you think will sell the most?

Oh my god I made a terrible mistake buying one! Now that you say that I realize! Thank you! lol

Buddsy

I do have kids and tried for several hours to arrange the cars seats in a way that was

1) safe

2) comfortable for me

3) comfortable for the kids

I couldn't only get one out of three at any one time.

It would work if you didn't have the large carseats as required nowdays or if kids are between 8-12 but thats it.

anyway getting back to the MP4 thingy.....

Personally i think its a great looking machine. some of the photos on the news section of pistonheads look fantastic. Its not a showy brash car in the way the 458 is, instead it looks classic. it will age incredibly well, almost in the same way the F1 has. Just look how dated 430's look now.

i will have one.... if the new esprit has to compete against this well good luck....

Hmmm ads_green you are probably right I did look at an Audi TT and there was no way I would get a baby car seat in the back...well if I wanted to be able to drive too. Youd think they would make em so that a baby seat would fit behind the driver seat!!! I mean its not likle they even need leg room!!!

Buddsy

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I love the styling, it's understated for a supercar but then not everyone wants to be driving a Lambo... I can honestly say if I had £160k to throw at a car it would be no contest. The Esprit needs to be something quite special, or a lot cheaper, preferably both... although I still prefer the new Elan!

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

One of these turned up at Car and Coffee in Irvine today along with a rolling chassis. I have to say it's pretty impressive in person, but I just didn't get that "WOW" factor from it like I did from the new Esprit or the new Lambo.

post-87-0-72258000-1299959086_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-70443700-1299959099_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-75059400-1299959112_thumb.jpg

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

I've seen at least three of these driving around Warwick recently. One of the 3 McLaren dealerships is going up nearby in Hockley Heath.

Have to say I know its a special car and I was delighted to see them but did not appear exotic enough for me.....