free hit
counters
Cooling system - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buddsy

Cooling system

Ive been looking at getting the silicone hoses I need for my car. Most of the larger pipes are 38mm I.D. but there is a reducer near the water pump which reduces the bore down to 32mmI.D. There is an elbow which goes on the 32mm I.D. and the other end goes to the water pump. My hose measures 38mm I.D. on the other end so I checked the water pump and thats 38 I.D. So what is the point of the reduction down to 32 for a short while before becomming 38 again? Is it to reduce flow?

Forgot to add the picture... item 067 is the reducer and 068 is a reducing elbow 32mm to 38mm.

cooling.jpg

Cheers

Buddsy

Edited by Buddsy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

HI Buddsy,

have you finally found a solution for your rad?

Did you buy a new one or what?

I have found a good source in UK. if you are still interested let me know and I will send you the link, maybe you can give them a call to have some more infos? :D

Ciao

Giorgio

Hi Giorgio

I am about ready to look at the Rad. What is your source I will see if I can get a price etc.

Good to see you still lurking around!! lol

Buddsy

Buddsy,

Have you looked at the later "G" car hose that is one piece? Its in the parts manual and it looks as though it routes through the frame. You would need to get a "knockout punch" to put the hole necessary through the sheet metal. I am considering doing it for my 1983 in order to have a better routing and more clearance around the engine. If you need the parts book page I can post it.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 1

Ive been trying to work my way round my Octopus!! bloody like tentacles there are pipes every where!! Im not sure about changing to the later cooling set up. I have the 85 update but would be too worried about changing too much. Isnt the head different or something for the HC cooling set up?

Buddsy

Have you looked at the later "G" car hose that is one piece? Its in the parts manual and it looks as though it routes through the frame. You would need to get a "knockout punch" to put the hole necessary through the sheet metal. I am considering doing it for my 1983 in order to have a better routing and more clearance around the engine.

I have fitted the latest HC cooling setup to my 85 Turbo, this pipe your talking about requires no additional cutouts in the chassis. Intitially I thought it would be needed but it turns out not to be the case. Also that particular hose from Lotus is a silicine hose, engineered to look like original.

Ive ordered all the samco hoses from Merlin. Now to sort the rad. Ive been speaking with Giorgio about getting an Ally Radiator. Any one else want to come in with us to see if we can get some made a bit cheaper? Giorgio gave me a heads up on a make that look really good but I know there are other makes any one got recomendation and prices?

Also is there a difference between S3 Turbo / S3 /S2 rads?

Buddsy

HI mate,

yes there is a differences between S2/S3 (early models) and Turbo.

The first is a 2 fans rad the other is a 3 fans rad, but as I would use the turbo rad, no problem for me. also the early S1/S2 rad were mounted upright, the later inclined.

Let me know mate.

Ciao

Giorgio

PS: do you need some other wrong link...? :)

Giorgio sending me the wrong link was funny...it could have been much worse!! lol Becare when you send something!

Buddsy