free hit
counters
Hydro-locked engine - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
andydclements

Hydro-locked engine

A few days after arranging to buy the Silk Red Excel I managed to hydro-lock the Green one. had I have no put a correct air-box on the green one it wouldn't have happened, air intake wouldn't have been lower than water level. Before pulling the engine from the green one I did a quick compression test and found 155, 185, 185, 190. I hoped the 155 was a result of the chip in the Nikasil which I spotted as I was re-building and didn't realise I had a spare liner at the time. I decided I would pull the engine apart and check it over before deciding what to do about the engine in the red one (getting tired, but good compression and goes well but knocks a bit (badly for the first few seconds then less once oil pressure gets high enough)and has several oil leaks.

So, I pulled the cylinder head off tonight, hoping not to find a bent con rod (warning from Mike), and hoping to see no piston damage. I looked for the Nikasil damage and eventually found it in the 2nd bore not the first, so that puzzled me as to the 155 reading. It was only after a few mins of looking at other options I re-checked the head gasket.

The water in the cylinder had managed to press the metal ring of the gasket out of shape and so move get some tiny amount more space to handle the attempt of the engine to compress the water.

The result was a head gasket with an egg shaped ring for no 1, and a crumpled area of gasket one side of the egg shaped hole.

All being well, new head gasket and she'll be ready to go in the red one.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Smart detection boss, well analysed and well SPOTTED. bet your excited now.

I also found out my plans for the weekend are scuppered. I had hoped to at least re-build the engine with the intention of getting most of the swap-over done. I've been asked by my brother if I'll help put a clutch in his daughter's boyfriend's car.