free hit
counters
S3 Turbo fuel leak/exhaust blow - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

S3 Turbo fuel leak/exhaust blow

Got a new fun project in - Peter Hutchins' 1985(6?) Turbo with blowing exhaust and reported fuel smell. I got back from my 3-day boredom stint at LHR, and Chris and I laid into the car this afternoon. We had an amazing result! Managed to get the driver's fuel tank out, and turbo and wastegate adaptor removed in 5 hours, about which we're very pleased.

At first glance the tank (whilst in place) looked fine, and we spent quite a while trying to figure out other sources for the leak. Then Chris noticed what looked like a hairline crack on the top. I gingerly inserted a screwdriver in the gap, and found that the top of the tank had been filled with some sort of resin, then painted black. Underneath the resin it was rotten:

DSC_7645.jpg

DSC_7646.jpg

DSC_7647.jpg

Bottom wasn't much better:

DSC_7649.jpg

DSC_7650.jpg

Pics of the satisfying empty hole:

DSC_7663.jpg

DSC_7662.jpg

Then we took a look at the exhaust blow. Seemed to be leaking from the wastegate adaptor to manifold joint. After exhausting this week's supply of expletives we managed to get it all apart. Although we succeeded in removing nuts/studs without any breakage (amazing), 3 threads (1 in adaptor, 2 in manifold) are stripped so we're going to see how we can resolve this insitu. The blow appears to have been caused by old gasket residue being left on the adaptor/manifold faces. Various pics:

DSC_7668.jpg

DSC_7666.jpg

DSC_7667.jpg

DSC_7664.jpg

A bit of naughtiness in the turbo though:

DSC_7660.jpg

All in all, a very satisfying afternoon's work! Now, where will we find a nice inexpensive tank....?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Keep us posted on the tank repair, I have an eminant need to know. Supose, there's nothing like "Barsleaks" for fuel tanks, save the agg of taking it out? :)

Definitely going to replace the tank.

Bite the bullet mate! It's character-building!

I can have a whole new tank made, probably out of stainless steel cheaper than I can freight one from the UK, but it's a last resort. If it's only pin holes I can get it done for under $100, that's about 60 quid in your language. Which side is the gauge in ? :)

Starboard, me owd mucka.

Looking from the rear?

The off-side ?(if you live in the UK)

Behind the driver ? ( if the driver sits on the right of the vehicle, as in UK)

The side furthest from the kerb ? (if you live in the UK)

Is that right ??? :)

Hm

I believe that the reason sailors kept the system of "starboard" and "port" sides was to avoid any misunderstandings to right and left. Wherever you are on a ship and in whatever direction you are looking, there should never be any confusion to what side is starboard and what is port :-)

And since there are no RHD and LHD ships, and no left hand traffic or right hand traffic at sea, with the same international understandig about how to avoid other sea going traffic, they have manged what we landcrabs have not.

By the way, I know a proffesional mechanic in my home town that has costed his employer lots and lots of money when ordering parts for damaged cars. Standing in front of the car, looking down the side that's on his right and ordering a "right hand door, headlight, fender, suspension parts". Every time there was front damage this happened. I guess he was only allowed to work on the rear damages after a while ;-)

Thanks for the explanation Ger. Unfortunately I think Roger needs just one more nudge.

Rog - If you're looking at the end of the car with the big wing on it, the sender will be on the right.

Clear now?

Looks nasty, much like my old tanks.

That turbo looks a little sick too, imagine if someone had a good second hand one with perfect impellors but a leaking oil seal lurking around in their garage? Imagine if they also had another, yes that's right, two spare turbos laying around, and the second of which, although not tested on a car, also has perfect impellors.

What's the chances eh?

Thanks for the explanation Ger. Unfortunately I think Roger needs just one more nudge.

Rog - If you're looking at the end of the car with the big wing on it, the sender will be on the right.

Clear now?

Er,,, ain't got no wing Boss ? :)

Oh hang, maybe this Clicky

I do not want to know how quickly you managed to get the tanks out (if it was anything less than an eternity). You know how long my job took! If you are replacing the tanks, there are some very good, and some not so good options...

Edited by Andjons

I do not want to know how quickly you managed to get the tanks out (if it was anything less than an eternity). You know how long my job took! If you are replacing the tanks, there are some very good, and some not so good options...

new one being made as we speak

Being as you seemingly live in Essex and therefore don't have the freight issues I do, I'm curious as to why you are having one made, and please don't tell me the stories about getting it out.:)

not kept in stock and seem to want a minimum 4 week delivery .The one we are having made will be 1 week and same price by someone who makes tanks for kit cars

Geir - I think we'll see how good this one turns out, and let you know. :stuart:

Andy/Rog - about 5 hours to remove the tank, but we had to contend with a bunch of badly corroded fixings. Don't cry, Andy. Anyhow, Stevens would be a bit tougher!