free hit
counters
No heat from heater! - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
superdavelotus

No heat from heater!

Hi all,

I've had no heat coming from my heater since purchase. Not sure where to start? I have taken the front cover off in the front boot and can fell the water pipes but they are cold. Also checked the temp dial and cable and all appears to work fine, the lever on the valve end appears to move with the cable etc.

Is it the valve that's blocked or the pipework?

1. How would I go about back flushing the heater system?

2. How difficult is it to replace the heater valve?

Regards,

David Walters

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm sure the heater matrix is always in circuit and the heat control is just from the flaps that make the air flow through the matrix.

You could always disconnect the small 90 degree pipes that feed the matrix at the front of the car and run a hose pipe through the matrix to check you have flow it. Maybe back flush it to help clear any blockages?

I'm 100% sure that's what mine is like, I've modified the cooling circuit in the engine bay now which forces all of the coolant exiting the cylinder head to run through the matrix, I think the earlier setup allowed a certain amount of bypass of the coolant and I've just adopted the later style system.

I had the same problem. I disconnected the heater hoses where they come out of the frame and attached a garden hose

to one side and a small extension hose to the other and put that hose in a bucket. My first attempt nothing came out.

I reversed the hoses and all of a sudden a whole bunch of gunk came out.

Be careful! Your water supply may be set at 60 to 70 lbs pressure. I have a well and could control the pressure.

So turn your hose on carefully or you will blow the heater core.

Its a messy job.

Gary

I had the same problem. I disconnected the heater hoses where they come out of the frame and attached a garden hose

to one side and a small extension hose to the other and put that hose in a bucket. My first attempt nothing came out.

I reversed the hoses and all of a sudden a whole bunch of gunk came out.

Be careful! Your water supply may be set at 60 to 70 lbs pressure. I have a well and could control the pressure.

So turn your hose on carefully or you will blow the heater core.

Its a messy job.

Gary