free hit
counters
New exhaust - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprit s2

New exhaust

Went for a little drive this morning and I think my exhaust has started to blow a bit. Does anyone know if the SJ exhaust (link below) includes the manifold or is it just from the down pipe back?

Also, are these things easy to fit?

http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/partsandaccessories/srchRes.asp?Car_ID=5&Type1_ID=%25&srch=FULL+S%2FSTEEL+EXHAUST+SYSTEM+%28Series+2%29&Submit=search

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Won't include the manifold. Not too difficult to fit, but you need to avoid shearing any studs where the manifold joins the downpipe. If they are not free to move after penetrating oil, consider heating with welding torch (easier said than done if you dont have access). Alternatively weaken/cut the nuts with an angle grinder/dremel

Steve

If you have not done so, have a look at the "Wheeler dealers" episode on the S3 on youtube - Ed China removes the exhauts system using pretty much all the methods Steve mentions above. Good to see hoe its done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84HwYn4h6M0&feature=related

The link is to the second part which has the actual exgauts removal but its well worth watching the whole lot

If all else fails, you can drill out the broken studs and replace them with stainless nuts and bolts...ask me how I know!!!

Thanks guys. Are SJs the only ones that sell exhausts for the early Esprits?

Over £400 seems a little steep!

Hey Paul,

If you go down the tubular manifold route, you save weight and it's easier to take on and off. I'm saying 'easier' rather than 'easy'. I have the tuby manifold, centre pipe that cuts out the 1st silencer and stainless backbox. I've yet to have to change the pipe and backbox in 30k miles and the setup sounds great compared to the original!

Pete

Damn you Pete! :)

Just talked to Steve at SJ and got him to add a new exhaust and manifold to my list of things!

Think I better go down to the post office with my Sig Sauer......

hi im thinking going down same road ,please let me know how difficult is to fit ,thxs steve

I've got the SJ tubular manifold on my S3 NA. Getting the old one off required removal of the engine mount and a real struggle, the new one I can easily get at all the nuts and as I changed all the studs for stainless and new nuts it all comes undone easily. I did need to put a couple of dents into it in strategic places to get it to fit without rubbing.

thxs LOT the esprit is new to me so appreciate any help would this be doable in the drive way ?

Hi Steve,

The S3 owners will be able to give you a better idea of how easy a job it is as the S2 doesn't have the raised engine surround like the S3. On the S2 it is pretty simple. Some nuts are accessed from below and others from up above so there's a bit of tooing and froing. I can be done with the engine mount in place so you don't have to worry about removing ancilliaries. Your life will be made easier if you have a 1/4 rachet with a thin head and quite a stubby 13mm ring spanner.

Good luck,

Pete

Did mine on my driveway - removal of the old manifold took 6-8 hours over a few evenings, a really tedious unpleasant job, done in November as well! All bar a couple of nuts done from underneath, some are literally a flat at a time and having to turn the spanner round each time. I was lucky in that all old studs came out as well without breaking - it could have been really nasty otherwise and probably a head off job. I could remove the tubular one now in about 45 mins as I can get my ratchet spanner on the nuts now.