free hit
counters
Pot hole 'kerbing' of alloys - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bolly girl

Pot hole 'kerbing' of alloys

Dearly beloved finally got round to washing the other dearly beloved and....oh dear sad.gif

Having confessed to one very minor 'kerbing of the drivers rear (didn't see a corner stone edge in the dark when driving off round a corner from a parked position huh.gif) the rest of the alloys appear to have suffered badly on the roads. We know it's the roads since it's never been parked next to a kerb, and the roads round here are shocking, as everywhere I know. Whilst we have both 'dodged' the holes, we can only think that the damage has been caused by the 'not so noticeable' ones.

I think that the edge of one of the alloys is bad enough to need seeing to - will take a trip to the garage on Mon for a sensible opinion. Can't be too safe in low profile tyres.

Any body else suffered on the roads with the alloys?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ouchy! I run 35 profile rears and 40 profile fronts and guess I've been really lucky as I've not had pothole damage. Have you thought about getting them refurbed by someone like Lepsons rather than replacing them?

I would seriously look into getting a claim done through the council.

State of the roads after the winter is nothing short of scandalous at the moment, I find my self weaving all over the road avoiding bumps and dips.

Really winds me up we have probably the highest income from road users per/head than any other country yet our roads are probably one of the worst in developed countries.

If I had damage to my wheel I'd go off find the nearest pot hole (not hard to find) and do all the necessary and get a claim in, you pay through your nose for it - claim it !

Appreciate this was two years ago, but in case this helps anyone else.

I hit a pothole in my Elan a few years ago, so got out & took pictures of the hole & damage, then phoned the local council. They captured the details & told me to put in a claim. I Sent receipts for a new rim, plus the costs of getting it painted along with the pictures & they paid up for the lot so if this happens to anyone, it's worth claiming.

Should have done that myself. Damaged my front near side alloy in a pot hole a few years back without realising. Drove around on it for a few years and got through 2 steering racks in the process. Wonder why the steering wheel was shaking over 90, not the cleverist thing I've done. Took the alloy off and rolled it and it was wobbling like a 3 legged donkey. Would have been nice to have claimed for a new alloy and 2 steering racks.

Hey..

Yeah i have kurbed mine too reversing out of a busy hosptial car park.. Sombody had abandoned their car not in a space forcing me to get too close to the kurb edge and donk.. oh [email protected]#!'

I had a little look on ebay and theres some lotus alloy wheel repair kits for about 6 or 7 pounds, i ordered one of those and tried it, worked really well.

it takes a lot of time and patience but if you do it right, you cant even see.

have a look:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-WHEEL-RIM-Scuffs-and-Scrapes-Repair-Kit-NEW-LOTUS-/320941189255?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item4ab995e887

Hope this helps.

I dinked my first Evora on the chunnel, not unusual by all accounts...

I trashed an alloy on an Alfa 10 years ago in a huge pot hole in Surrey. Took photos of the pot hole and rim, sent it to the council with a receipt plus covering letter and they paid for the rim with a cheque!

I am also a regular Chunnel user and the 'marshals' that guide you into the train will often offer sports car drivers the option of driving down the trackside to use the freight compartment that has wider spaces between the kerbs. They know that the regular compartments can trash alloys and low profile tyres. The freight ends also have fewer people squeezing past your car and knocking the mirrors. If they don't offer to put you in the freight end they have always let me use it if I have asked. The only possible downside is that you might have the entire occupants of a coach staring at you and the Lotus whilst you eat your sandwiches and drink your brew!