free hit
counters
Blown turbo/head? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprit17

Blown turbo/head?

Hi Guys,

Wonder if you can help me, ive got a 98 GT, 53K full dealer history which I bought last week (private sale). The car was checked over the dealer and required a new clutch, Which incidentely was going to be fitted tomorrow. However, took the car out to show me brother, 6mile drive bit of full accelaration 3rd, 4th stuff 3 times. Then coasted back saying how good the car was when I noticed some smoke from the N/S engine bay vent and stopped immdiately. I checked the engine compartment and there was a bit of sprayed oil around the turbo area but no evidence of a leak, however some oil had obviously droped on to the exhaust causing the smoke.

The engine temp was fine 80'C so we sat there for 10mins temp droped to 70'C everything seemed fine so started it up, straight away I saw white smoke from the N/S exhaust so stopped the engine.

I towed it back and it is currently cooling down on my drive, no obvious coolant lose, or oil in the header tank.

Having read through some od the threads, I getting concerned that there may have been an airlock in the cooling system as when the heater was on, I only got hot air through the windscreen demisters not the dash vents.

I fear that I have either blown the n/s turbo? or blown the cylinder head? any ideas. Should I try and start it to confirm that the white smoke is still present or tow it to the dealers.......help!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would ring the dealer and tell them to come and pick it up. It may be the cam towers that are leaking, but that would be their problem. You, hopefully have some form of 3 month warrantee. Sound like you have only done a few miles in her. Get them to pick it up, the minute you start taking bits of or playing with it they may disown it.

Post how you got on, do not leave it too long.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

no warranty as I bought it private, and the dealer check was informal as I asked for a speedo fault to be rectified, I asked him to check it over but as he it had just had a 'B' service plus belts 1000 miles prior and had been serviced and maintained by him. He didn't charged for checking the car and I did asked them to check out some oily deposits on the near the N/S turbo, he said it was just oil mist and not a problem.

cheers

Update...started the engine from cold, to check that the white smoke was present. Having run the engine for 30sec, there is somewhite smoke but to be honest I was expecting more. There was a strange almost gurgling sound, some sort of fuild oil / water not sure.

Looks like my options are narrowing and a costly recovery on the cards, a real shame having waited 20years to get one, the ups and downs of esprit ownership

Are you sure the white smoke is nothing more sinister than the usual water vapour any car can show? When a turbo fails you'll be burning oil which comes out of the exhaust as blue smoke.

It does sound like you've got a minor oil leak which is dripping onto the hot exhaust causing the smoke you saw from one of the vents. It only takes a tiny drop to make copious amounts of smoke!

'...Thanks Dave,

no warranty as I bought it private, and the dealer check was informal as I asked for a speedo fault to be rectified, I asked him to check it over but as he it had just had a 'B' service plus belts 1000 miles prior and had been serviced and maintained by him. He didn't charged for checking the car and I did asked them to check out some oily deposits on the near the N/S turbo, he said it was just oil mist and not a problem.

..'

Steve, don't trust a dealer on such things !

a dealer-sale 'as private' is always a warning... . ;)

So as you have no warranty now -undo the exhaust on the requested engine side. Just on the point where the catalyst is fitted to the turbo. And on the opposite end, where the fresh air from the airbox gets into the turbo and out to the intake manifould-pipe. This way you can find out if it is 'only' the turbo, or more like an worst case -massive amounts of oil is comming into the system via the crank-breather pipe and into the airbox.

If you have the engine running, and shut the ignition *off* (what stops the engine) ....is there any notable water steam comming out of the oil-filler opening if you look into it ?? Or only some mist of oil?

Hi Guys - UP DATE

ok removed the exhaust and by passed the turbos cooling pipe jacket, the white smoke is still present.

removed the spark plugs to the n/s bank and identified water on spark plug of the 4th cylinder.

ALthough there is obvioulsy water getting in to the cylinders the pressure in the coolant system is low, which does not make sense if the head gasket has gone or that the liner is cracked

The engine is being removed as I type this, the dealer has put a call in to lotus HQ on this matter as it seems to him a very rare event.

any ideas?

You poor soul. I hope that the dealer is doing all of this work as a hugely discounted rate?

Fingers crossed in hope that your problem is only with the head gasket.

Cheers,

Mike S

Hi all,

Many thanks for the support

This will be my last post on this thread as I have the diagonise, i'ts a cracked liner so it's realively major work which is outside of my DIY confort zone

but hey, on a positive note I going to start a new thread 'top 10 things to do when the engine is out' so I would be grateful for some good pointers

cheers

Oh golly - that is not good news. :)

Here is a list of things to consider replacing if you´re having the engine/gearbox out and both top and bottom-end apart:

- check other pistons/liners for wear and possible replacement

- replace conrod shell bearings

- intermediate shaft roller bearings

- timing belts, tensioners and idlers

- primary shaft pilot bearing

- exhaust manifold studs and exhaust heat shields

- engine and gearbox metallastic mounts

- clutch friction plates and release bearing

- turbo coolant feed/return pipes and oil feed pipes

- gearbox driveshaft oil seals

- rear wheel bearings

If you can retain your sense of humour after that lot then you´ll be in good shape.

Good luck.

Mike S