free hit
counters
Knocking noise on rear suspension - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chozdo

Knocking noise on rear suspension

Hi everyone

After looking for a special toy for a month or so after selling my last toy a Honda goldwing 1800GL. I wanted something a bit special and decided on a lotus Elise. Well what a choice it has all the thrills of my bike and is allot warmer too. I have still to find this little cars limit think I have found mine. The best thing about this car is its handling and cornering WAT A CAR.I love it

I bought this 52 reg 1800s 3 weeks ago I had a test drive with the salesman sat in the passenger seat and I was hooked straight away, it drove well with no noise on the suspension at all. I collected the car with my girlfriend. So at this point I hadn’t driven it on my own. I went out this morning and heard a loud banging noise from the n/s/r suspension as if the left rear wheel is dropping hard into pot holes.Its ok on a smooth surface just bangs quit loud when you hit a small pot hole.

I think it might be a shock absorber ?? everything looks ok underneath has anyone got any ideas what it could be and if it is a shocker were do I get one and how much would I expect to pay?

I am going for the weekend to the lotus show Worcestershire do you think I would get any parts I might need there

Thanks All

Steve

Edited by Chozdo

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Give each corner a good shove downwards - if one corner bounces more than the others, you are probably right. Also, any sign of oil around the shock absorber would signify leakage.

Check no bolts have come undone and make sure the spring isnt broken.

Thanks for the fast reply

Ya i have checked the shockers for bounce and they are ok, also no leaks having said that it could have been steamed off before i bought it.only thing i havn't checked is the tightnes of the bolts will remove wheel and check them

cheers

Hi Steve,

Sounds like either broken spring or shock. Ring around for prices, try Eliseparts, PNM Engineering, SJ Sportscars, Hanger 111 etc.

Also if you become a member on here then some of these companies offer club discounts.

Regards,

David Walters

Knocking noise from the rear going over a bump is typical for the inboard ball joints on the toe links starting to wear out.

I'd replace them with a toe link kit on a Rover engined car (I did) or a brace on the yota engined ones.

Marko

Elise toe link breaks at 0:50

Thanks everyone who posted

I have finally sorted the knocking noise on the suspension.

You won’t believe it but it was the battery that was loose. When i bought the car it must have had a new battery fitted and the clamp was only finger tight. I thought this was going to be mega expensive knowing how much shockers are etc. It just goes to show “ Start with the simple Things”

:)