free hit
counters
New Ally Radiator - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Buddsy

New Ally Radiator

Hi all

I am looking at getting a new alloy Rad made for my 85 Turbo. Giorgio is after one too. Any body else need one? Maybe we can get a deal.

If anybody has had a new one made I would be interested in cost and quality. Pics would be great.

Cheers all

Buddsy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've got my car booked into SJ at the end of april for, amongst other things, a new radiator. I have an upright rad though, which I suppose is completly different to yours.

I dont know about how the Rads differ but Giorgio has an S2 and hes changing to a turbo Rad. Im not sure why? He gave me a link to a really nice ally one for £350.00 I think SJ ones are £420.00?

Buddsy

Ok heres the link to the Rad that Giorgio found. I know many people will have had dealings with Serk and they got lots of branches around. The link has been a bit temperamental for me but give it a go.

http://www.serckservicesmotorsport.co.uk/lotus/lotus-esprit-aluminium-radiator-2036309-187518-608553.php

I think this looks the doggies do-dahs!santa.gif

Buddsy

it takes ages to load up?

That does look good! Correct me if I'm wrong (I usually am) but that looks like a S1/early S2 radiator. The later S2s onwards had a inclined rad which was much bigger/wider.

I dont know...I havent taken mine out yet as I have been working on the back end? Where is Mr.Clements to give his words of wisdom when you need him?

Buddsy

Buddsy, Mr Clements has been pi***ng about on a Vauxhall, Saturday, Sunday, Monday evening and Tuesday evening.

The jury is out an ali rads. Not with regards to weight, we know they are lighter, but when you weigh the whole rad with water, there's not a great difference.

There's an argument that an ali rad is less conductive of heat than traditional , and another argument ali rad is more conductive. It's all about the combination of material in a traditional one (copper, brass and solder).

My guess (purely) is that it depends on whether you're comparing to a good brass tanked one / poor plastic tanked one, and whether you're moving to a well-made thin material ali one.

I presume people who move to ali see the benefits much as a person who fits larger valves when doing an engine re-build would. a;l the increase in performance (cooling) comes from the change in specification, and people forget about how much improvement would have been seen by replacing old knackerd components with new good quality standard spec ones.

If I were to need a new rad then I may well go for an ali one, but I probably wouldn't simply replace a serviceable traditional one just for the sake of it. I doubt any cooling improvemt from the swap of god traditional to good ali is worth the effort or money when you could simply fit a booster water pump for low engine speeds*.

* Low engine speeds, as I haven't seen mine getting hot when I've been moving freely on a main road, only when I'm in traffic.

Vauxhall hater of Norwich signing off.

Hi,

Im with Andy on this one, When i had my custom radiator made i spoke to quite a few firms about building in Alloy and to be honest i was quite suprized at the amount that said they would stick with the origanal materials ;) I think we are all lead to beleive from magazine adverts in customs mags saying things like " 40% better cooling etc " Now im not saying the alloys ones would not aid cooling a bit more but not with some of the figures the some of the companys make, however on the plus side would be that the alloy ones service life will be longer. And looks the part aswell.

Worth changing but not if your rads already ok. Just my pence regards danny

Hi,

I replaced the whole front end cooling rad and charge cooler rad and AC rad on my S4s.

I approached a well know Rad company here in Ireland and told him that I wanted the best for my, car with money not been an option.

I explained to him that I was thinkng of a alloy rad, but he explained that the original copper and brass radiator had way more conductivity of heat than the alloy version. So with the original end caps he replaced the original twin core with a new triple copper core an extra 40% in volume for 225 euro. I also replaced the old 3 fans with 3 slim line 11" high output fans which are way more quieter. I find now that it takes a long time for the fans to come on due to the xtra core.

cheers

Dave

Thanks for you replies chaps. I see where you are comming from. I wasnt sure if standard items were still made from copper due to its expence? The thing is I guess if a standard rad is working well the thermostat stops the rad working (in most cases) to its full capacity? Better to have some extra cooling power in hand as it were.

For my part the reason I want to get a new rad is when I bought my car it had no head. I was told this was sent off to be skimmed but they never got it back. On rebuilding my car I found the cooling side of things to be very blocked and furry. The water pump was really rusted. Im not sure if this was when it was sitting for 14 years or if it was a cause of the cars troubles? I have been replacing all the water cooling system and would not want to use the old Rad as it would be the last link in the chain. I could get a recon one but for the price is it better to get a new one?

You have all forgoten that something nice and shinney works better though!!! lol hahahastuart.gif

Buddsy

PS Andy come on havent you done that Vauxhal yet???police.gif

Buddsy,

I know see where you are coming from chap, I was in the same boat as you when i first bought the car several years ago, it had the 2.2 n/a back then, it was running but was a rolling restoration, having taken it to the test station it passed but temps got way high on the way back, entering the drive the expansion tank cap popped dropping most of the coolant. After closer inspection i founf the radiator had no cooling fins at all! they had rotten away, but by that time i had already decided in my head to pull the head and replace the gasket etc, water pump. Makes sense to replace everything as it should give you many trouble free miles,

personally i would pay the extra few quid and get the brand new turbo radiator from sjs about £400 i think, expensive for standard yes, but its brand spanking new and not recondtioned, and is more than capable of cooling a standard s3 turbo. The only thing that i would change would be the fan units out for tripac units, an easy job and they cool the temps quicker in static traffic which is what its all about.

Regards danny

Thanks for you info Danny. Sj do a new rad for £245.00 or a new Ally one for £445.00 what is the one you are thinking I should go for? Is the standard Rad still a part I could get from Lotus?

Buddsy

The only difference between a competently recored radiator and a new one will be that the recored one still uses the original tanks and pipes from either end of the new core...and you can specify a core with greater cooling power if you wish. The tanks at either end contribute little to the cooling, and are very likely to be absolutely perfect and not in need of replacement. As has been said...the cooling fins themselves tend to corrode away and thus the cooling power goes with them. New core is identical to a new radiator, you can specify what you want and it's going to be cheaper, too.

Buddsy,

I would go for the 245 quid one, it will be just as good! spend the exrtra money you save on some tripac fans!

Regards danny

I'm for recoding as well..

Previous owner tripple cored my rad, have no idea how long ago but it's in real good shape.

The BigSi project car rad was recoded in standard two core fashion, I had it stood on my drive on a scorching hot day idling for well over an hour with it heat cycling with the fans tripping in and out and it kept perfect temperature, that was with one fan missing so only 2 of the original fiesta fans ans everything was fine.

Recored shouldn't cost much more than £100-£150 max. I don't think I'd ever go through the uneccesary expense of the alloy unit, the life expecatancy of the standard unit is pretty good all things considered.

Thanks guys so if my fins are ok get the old one re cored? I know this sounds thick but what does it mean either 2 core or 3? I havent really looked at a rad? Im guessing they remove the old tubes and put in more or bigger ones? Is that it?

Cheers

Buddsy

Hi Buddsy,

All you need to do is remove your old radiator, and send it to recondtioned, also state that you want the new one to made into a three core unit, all this means is at the moment yours has two cores, i.e the longest part of your radiator has two cores running parralel all the way across all the way down, hence only enough coolant that can pass through two cores every minute gets cooled by the airflow, or fans if static,

The chap that does your radiator will solder in another core all the way down hence better coolant circulation, hence better cooling due to the extra coolant quantity cycled past the radiator through heat dicipation :)

When you remove the radiator you see what i mean, and the one you get back will be slightly wider but will not effect the fitting of it. Defo fit tripac fans though to gain the maxium out of the upgrade.

Regards danny

Thanks Danny Im sure it will all make sence once I see it, I may have a look tonite I dont even know what state its in?? What are the tripac fans. I think Ive seen mine and they look rusty as funk as with the suround.

Buddsy

I agree with the recore option, well done, it will do the exact same job as a new one or better if you increase the capacity.

You can have a pretty good idea of the condition of the fins just by touching them with your finger, when they're corroded, they'll just turn to dust or crush real easily.

Luc

buddsy,

Tripac fans is just a brand name, you also have spal fans etc, all they are is slim line fans, but when you see the amount of blades you will understand, also they move a massive amount of air compared to the old ford fans you have fitted. Im pretty sure they wgive less current drain aswell.

Basically your old fans have four or five blades and could be compared to sopworh camel propeler, the slim line beasts have about 10 but are small and curved better and could be compared to a jet engine :stuart: After i fitted the three to mine the noise from fan suction was massive, and when you put a bit of newspaper near the front radiator when the fans are on it sucks it out of your hand!

See Hillys v8 project thread, he has some goods pics of slimline fans or mike skelinger has recently posted a nice pic of an alloy radiator that has slim lines fitted on his v8 gt project.

Regards danny

I sure will be looking at a newer option with the fans, my old ones look a little rough!

IMG_2594.jpg

Buddsy