free hit
counters
3. Malaysian GP - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

3. Malaysian GP

Iconic Ride

Ooh! Ooh! I get to start a topic in the F1 section. Yippeeeeee!pc.gif

The Sepang Circuit site shows five tracks. I have used my superior analytical skills to eliminate the Go-Kart Circuit as the choice of venue for the April 4th F1 race. I will even go so far as to boldly predict that they will use the "Main Track." See nifty link below.

Main Track http://www.malaysian...its-seat-viewer

View interactive (flash) map here.

This looks to be one amazing circuit! And it is currently running second (tied with Silverstone) in the members' poll. Would anyone care to comment, elucidate, or otherwise contribute anecdotal observations and opinions to assist me (and others) in fully appreciating the nuances of the upcoming competition? TIA.

Edited by Iconic Ride

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first off Burnie seems to have the happy knack of delaying the start until it's raining, he did this last year at Sepang and I give you Melbourne last week. This may be viewed as good or bad, good in that it might improve the racing, bad all you can see is spray, or the race is stopped due to accicent.

The fundamental problem remains, a car 2-3 seconds a lap faster cannot get passed, Hamilton closed on Alonso at 2 seconds a lap, and failed to be able to get past. Michael Shoe spent most of his race following cars 3 seconds slower than he could lap.

That issue will still exist at Sepang, until the FAI figure out it is the aero ruining the racing (everyone else already knows) it will continue to exist, as it has for over a decade. There is an answer but seems to be a lack of willingness to implement it.

Lotus are unlikley to improve as Sepang is a high downforce track and that's what the car lacks, however we shall cheer them on and hope for a good race.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

sepang looks great from the air, as its is right next to KLIA you can see it just before you touch down on the runway

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

if i were a gambling man - and the rain comes down - watch the old man creep out of the draw !

still want to see Lotus up the pace now.

richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Great build up to the GP! Amazing crowd at the Lotus Racing event. So how long will it take to get some goodies our way now that KL got their fair share.

For the Grand Prix I'd like to see lotus playing with strategies! There may a point to grab!

As this one is early i'm going to watch (binned the australia one to do other stuff). But i am still hanging onto hope that i might have some enthusiasm left.

What are the chances of trulli, or even both cars actually passing the chequered flag this time?

Can they do the same all season long and still be winners because there will be sad forum threads saying 'good first season try' despite the fact they were just one of the 'also rans'? Unmentioned by the next days papers, and the live TV cameras not actually taking the effort to even point at them because they are busy doing nothing of interest other than roll wheels for the race duration to end at least a lap down from those collecting points.

I'm gushing i swear! Fluids are pouring from every orifice at the mere thought of what the Lotus branded team will do next!!!

I wish i was more easily pleased, i really do.

:stuart:

its home turf (tarmac) for the force Malaysia team this week so they will have to put on a good show

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Very good first day! The guys are totally dominating the other new entrants in performance (half a second over the first Virgin driven by Timo Glock) and reliability:

18. Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 1:38.454 + 4.279 34

19. Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth 1:38.530 + 4.355 32

21. Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1:39.061 + 4.886 23

22. di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth 1:39.158 + 4.983 29

23. Chandhok HRT-Cosworth 1:41.084 + 6.909 27

24. Senna HRT-Cosworth 1:41.481 + 7.306 32

Of course practice time are not relevant but Hulkenberg finished 17th in 1:37.415, +3.240 from the best lap, in 19 laps!

Which means that they are closing the gap with the midpack, they are now less than 2 sec behind! That's great news!

My concern is that 8 of the 9 bottom cars are the all the Cosworth runners, just how good is this engine? and what under the draconian FIA rules can be done about it.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

15th and 18th, out qualifying McLaren and Ferrari. Only fly in the ointment is Glock in the Virgin ahead of Trulli. Great performance from Lotus.

Edited by hedgerley

One has to wonder what part of "it usually rains (& quite heavily) at this time of day in Malaysia”, Bernie is having trouble with? :D

Great qualifying !

Found myself giving a rather louder than expected "YES !" when Heikki got through to Q2.

Great article on the team before the qualifying as well, really impressed.

I must admit to being sceptical before about where they were going with the name, but hearing Tony Fernandes talking about it really set the record straight, great to hear him talking about Chapman and his views for the future of the team :D

Totally reversed my opinion of Heikki as well, not just this race but everytime you hear him and watch him he seems to be settling more and more down to the team/car and enjoying it - superb effort with the qualifying as well !

Lets hope they finish the race tomorrow and they have good chance of a point or two based on the other drivers in the wet.

Race on !

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Aren't the current V8s just wound down versions of the 2006-2007 ones, that used to run up to 21k, anyway.. recall Cosworth had the best revs (power) but perhaps at the expense of a little lower on mid-rev torques? Suspect it's just a catch up game on 'maps'... get Dermid in there with his lap top.. :D

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Cosworth did way more than just drop the rev limiter. They had to work on the heads, cams, pistons and, probably, the auxiliaries to suit the lower peak speed. Now it's homologated, they are supposed to modify it only to fix reliability problems or reduce its cost.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

From Tony Fernandes - "hydraulic problem with the heikki car. we try to fix. jarno has bodywork damage from glock hit"

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bad race for our boys today! We got crippled by tech problems! Jarno getting punted by Timo Glock and suffering from hydraulic problems in the end! forcing him to just bring the car to the finish line. Letting by both HRTs! Heikki trying a daring move on Luca Di Grassi, getting a puncture resulting in a difficult pit stop and overheating causing him to stay 9 laps in the pits and forbidding him to score another race finish! Even if he was the fastest guys among the new entrants in the end of the race!

Luca di Grassi got his Virgin to the end of the race which means that the tech at Cosworth and Virgin have managed to get the car to just sip petrol! They are probably down on power as a result which hides the real potential of this car!

Bit confused by trying to correlate Bibs' and Neda's posts. Did both cars suffer hydraulic problems this time? Also, I still have not seen a sufficiently detailed description/explanation of the precise nature of this recurring theme. Think I heard mention at some point about a "hydraulic power pack" or something along that line. Can any of you gurus out there elaborate on this? Talk to me, Tony!welcome.gif

The Glock "contact sport" event was trulli (get it? get it?) unfortunate. Nature of the game sometimes. Miraculous that it doesn't happen more often than it does. And Heikki's removal of Grassi's front wing was (IMO) not his fault. He was in front, and making a legitimate turn into the apex.

And if you ignore the fact that our boy was several laps down, it was pretty cool seeing a Lotus crossing the finish line in the number three position. Who says we don't get camera time?thumbup.gif

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Problems for Lotus in Malaysia...what happened to Trulli? Why did he had such a slow pace at the end of the race?

Great race Vettel...finally he got the deserved win...hope it continues that way...think he will be 2010 champion...and doing that it will be the fifth different champion in five seasons