free hit
counters
Moving seat forward... - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
skiing

Moving seat forward...

Hi all,

I am rather short at 5ft 6 - however i have never had a problem reaching the pedals in a car with the seat forward... However in the S3 I can't get the seat forward enough to totally depress the clutch... I have moved the seat as far forward as it appears to slide - but am not sure whether it is just jamming or my legs are just too short and I will have to a. use a cushion (or maybe a booster seat like when I was even smaller) or b. wear platforms when driving..

Either of these options are to be honest not totally ideal (although perhaps platforms could be seen as being period to the car?) - so do people think that my seat is just not coming forward as much as it should (it only slides about 2-3 inches from furthest back to furthest forwards) and is there away of taking it out and adjusting the frame? (NB the frame has been raised about an inch by the PO as he was not a giant of man either).

Any help would be great...

Henry

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Henry,

Im only about an inch taller than yourself, And never had a problem with not been able to reach the pedals, its probably that the seat runners are rusty! they get wet and fill up with rust and general crud over the years!

Best bet it remove the seat from the car and clean it up! very simple, climb underneath the car under the drivers seat area you will see fout nuts, 13mm off memory, one of them will have an earth strap attached to it, undo the nuts and washers, then go back inside the car and pull the seat out! Two things to watch on this first of all use wd40 or similar as the nuts have a tendancy to snap off from rust and are welded to the seat runners. second is mind the car bodywork and interior as pulling the seat out i find a bit awkward and takes some moving around. then just clean, wirebrush down the runners and lighly oil! job done.

If its the driving postion your struggling with try ajustable seats i never liked my esprit seats as i felt too far back from the steering wheel, they are a good uprade.

Hope this helps regards danny

Hi Danny - thanks very much - hopefully it is this - certainly when the seat is as far forward as it goes it doesnt ratchet into place - you have to push it back a bit before it clicks. I will take them apart this weekend. Thanks,

Henry

Not sure, but I think the forward movement of the seat may be restricted by the seat itself biffing against the centre console. If you need to get it further forward, should be possible to relocate the seat by drilling 4 more holes in the floor for the seat runner bolts!! And I agree with the WD40 bit...just welded on two new bolts to my seat runners as the originals snapped off like carrots....

Reach between legs, grab long, hard round thing, lift and slide forward. :D

That should fix it. ;)

Edited by ramjet

I beat you all, I'm only 5' 4" and the only problem I have is holding the clutch out at lights (too lazy to put in neutral) but my seat is not as far forward as it will go. Clean the runners, and as somone has suggested, maybe try just loosening off the 4 bolts through the floor, push the seat hard forward so it can align itself with the centre consul. ( the holes through the floor are much bigger than the bolts, so get the seat as far toward the sill as possible) I also cheated a bit with the clutch and fitted a 3/4 bore master cylinder.

Right, seat was jamming - now adjusted and will hopefully be close enough (!) when I pick up the car (it's having a new alternator as well).