free hit
counters
Backfire ! - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
toyroom

Backfire !

Getting a P0202 code about once every 4 weeks, once it was associated with a couple of loud bangs from the exhaust. The car is a 97 V8 and thus likely a fault on injector #5. Any suggestions? The rest of the time it is fine so I suspect the wiring or connector

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not to split hairs, but P0202 should indicate a fault on the #2 cylinder and related components. I'd check wiring at that injector, and if possible, try swapping the injector and see if the problem jumps with the injector or stays with the wiring harness (i.e.; swap to #3 injector and problem indicates #3 or remains on #2). That should give you a good jumping point on which route to trace.

Well...not to glue the split hair together, but... The ECU manual says this is cylinder #5 on "earlier" cars, so, I rang the factory who agree that mine (car # 287) is likely to be early. The backfire also seems to come from the left side of the car and, since posting, I have been out in the car and for the first quarter mile, the engine was slightly lumpy (? firing on 7 cylinders) and smelled of gas. The problem then corrected and it's been running as sweet as a nut since. As cylinder #5 is on the left at the front and I have recently spilled coolant in, and disturbed the wiring in, this area, it points to a fault on the left. The exhaust gas from the tailpipe also felt more pulsatile on the left when the engine was running lumpy (? one pulse in 4 missing) All this seems to point to a left side cylinder not firing sometimes with the fault code pointing to #5. I am certainly hoping so as it's one of the few bits visible with the turtle in place. Getting the turtle off my car is a right pain....I've had the damn thing off often enough! I wish Pete would get a move on with his induction system re-design so we can choose to lose this (admittedly pretty and tidy, but infuriatingly in the way) turtle!

Edited by toyroom

... ah see, John has commented the *early cars* thing -already :D

Edited by Günter