free hit
counters
Flywheel grinding specs - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
freshcut

Flywheel grinding specs

Having a look through the FSM at the flywheel material removal maximum specification I seem to have found 3 different numbers. The first two in the Clutch section indicate single plate (V8) of 1.0mm maximum which does not apply since most if not all single plate units were replaced. It shows 0.75mm for the dual plate. However in the front specification section, it lists only 0.5mm and does not specify single or dual plate. So anyone know which of the 0.5 or 0.75mm specs should be used? I'm thinking 0.5mm since in my experience you should always use the smaller of any specification unless otherwise noted.

Pages of manual with conflicting specs are TDK page 6 for 0.5mm, and pages QE 13/14 for single and twin plate with specs of 1.0 and 0.75.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

not sure on how much was taken of on my 'twin-plate' flywheel ...but would say , as it is only a works specification just do it in steps and look how good it comes out after first round ?! After all, even if it is meant to undo 0.5 -and you would do 0.6 for perfect finish -what does count more after all ? :censored:

Think it is more important to have the right step for the clutch afterwards -nothing else matters in my point of view :D

my vote goes for a max. of 0.75mm -as in the description specified for V8 twin-plate systems

For what it's worth, I planned to have the machine shop skim only as much as necessary to acheive a flat surface. I've not yet actually seen the physical flywheel, so not sure on what the extent of warping or other damage is present, but figured the shop would like some information on minimum thickness and maximum metal removal as well as step height. The conflicting data in the FSM had me a bit confused, so thought I'd better be safe and ask.