free hit
counters
One for the ladies - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rogerch

One for the ladies

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Or certainly a man in touch with his more feminine qualities.

I'm gonna dust off my sewing machine and make some roman blinds (I hope) so watch this space.

just picked your thread (excuse the pun) I would advise you to try and find an old Singer 41K 15 it is old/ sturdy/

and no computers and they never break down, I might have a machine in our stores that would do for what you want.

Trousers should not be machined any way, but finely hand stitched with a herring bone stitch, and if they are plain bottoms the fronts should be shorter than the back but turn-ups are level all round, trust me as I used to be a master Tailor.

Cheers,

Nick Fulcher.

I'm gonna dust off my sewing machine and make some roman blinds (I hope) so watch this space.

I like the horizontal pleated ones, I'm watching with interest. :rolleyes:

Nick, trust me the machine does it better than I can.:)

picture025kv.th.jpg

picture024sjh.th.jpg Well here are some pics of my handiwork. Please be kind as this is my first attempt at making roman blinds. smile.gif

They are for our youngest's room and have blackout lining so the room is in complete darkness (hopefully no more 5am wake up calls by James)

They were quite straightforward to make you just have to be precise with the measurements.

Roger, you've sown yourself almost identical replica to this fake Lotus jacket they sell on ebay! What are the chances...!

02.jpg

Yes I've seen that one on Ebay, it's a bit garish, over the top for me. I prefer the subtleties of mine. :lol:

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Following right along,,,,,,,,,,,, I bought some new trousers recently, real ones not jeans, as usual they needed hemming/turning up.

Now I've tried a steel ruler and a stanley knife, I've tried the best scissors I can find, but Can I get a straight constant edge. :no

I don't remember my mum having this trouble.

What's the secret ladies ?

Roger

I have got Fiskars scissors which are the best. Mark your cutting line and pin the legs closed as close to the line making sure the pins won't impede the scissors.

Now here is the important bit - never ever close the scissors fully while cutting. As you cut close the scissors half way then move the scissors forward.

Hope this helps :)