free hit
counters
Stuck the car in the air for the first time last night.. - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
fesuvious

Stuck the car in the air for the first time last night..

Hi

For the first time since I bought her (1 week ago) I stuck my S4S in the air primarily to have a good look over generally and to check the exhaust condition.

The Bypass valve is disconnected - Still in situ but the vacumn pipe is off with a screw in. 

I have noticed the car idling at @1400rpm when warm and wondered if this could be linked? Could the valve be stuck in a non sensible position?

I plan to sack all the exhaust system soon. I was wondering what effect the disconnection might have? Can anyone tell me?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You will find in a quick search of the forum various threads in regards to the bypass valve. Majority of owners have removed this out of the exhaust system. The primary design was to help warm up the engine for emission reasons at a quicker rate. No harm in complete removal, just make sure that you do secure better the vacuum line with the screw. As this is still part of the vacuum system. I have actually removed my vacuum line and capped off properly so as not to have an issue.

Wot he said.

I believe it's actually there to warm the cat up more quickly (not the engine - sorry to be pendantic) which only works effectively when warm.

Rumours that it was the EBPV on Jarno Trulli's car that forced him to retire from the last Grand Prix remain unconfirmed!

The high idle could be due to the throttle jack capsule connected to the throttle linkage.

It is supposed to work with the EBPV to raise the throttle to overcome the increased back pressure while the EBPV is closed.

With the EBPV removed, the throttle jack should also be removed and the line capped. The throttle jack linkage can actually stick and cause a high idle. Remove all the parts of the throttle jack, not just the capsule.

A high idle could also be an air leak, or IAC problem.