free hit
counters
one cylinder louder than the rest intermittentaly - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mr.oogieboogie

one cylinder louder than the rest intermittentaly

hello everyone.

after completing the exhaust manifold i have noticed a strange noise coming from one of teh cylinders (at first i thought i had a leak at the manifold as the cylinder sounder louder than the rest and the noise went up and down with the revs almost like it was leaking) however after cleaning the plug and the lead and the end of the lead was quite wet(as it seems a place where water sits in the #2 cylinder) the noise had totally gone and the car reved and ticked over excellent for around 20 mins.

i restarted the car and the noise was back so im wondering if its the plug lead or maybe an injector as the car has been stood for a while idf i pull the lead off there is no noise so im thinking that the lead is either breaking down or some kind of arching occuring. or if one of the injectors is blocking up. (coils new last year, plugs new manifold new gaskets in excellent condition). any pointers would be great

there has been some popping and banging also.

annoying as when it fires on all 4 (without the noise) it sounds great still runs on all 4 but just a strange noise from the one cylinder

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

hi peter. will send you leads and will also send a set of plugs as i changed mine when i was trying to get it running right(new plugs made no difference so old plugs ok not that old anyway about 1500 miles) think se plugs should be same on s4. also might be worth removing fuel rail and removing injectors, they have a gauze to stop dirt getting into injector. when i checed mine i noticed a bit if dirt in them. hope you get it sorted rob

hello robin, thats great, thanks for the parts and teh info on the injectors, glad the fuel pump got you going and hope you enjoy the car over the bank holiday

well sailorbob (derek) came over today we swaped the leads at the coil and the noise is still there (same cylinder) after putting the leads back we swapped the injectors, noise still there

with either the plug lead off or the injector lead off the noise dissapears. so we think its not mechanical i should be getting a freescan log a bit later and upload that so if anyone has come across this kind of fault before, then any info would be great.

as the car gets warmer the noise gets less if the plug lead is removed the tick over is hardly effected, no exhaust leak

Wondering if the car is up and running OK and if the noise has managed to mysteriously fix itself? (I know, fat chance).

PS can you clear your inbox or drop me a pm, ta.