free hit
counters
V8 Idle Question - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Feffman

V8 Idle Question

Hi All:

Getting a P0507 code on my 1999 V8 which reads "RPM Idle Higher The Expected". Looking up the code it mentions several potential issues.

Has anyone ever had their battery go flat necessitating a higher then normal RPM at idle or driving to recharge th battgery?

Mark Pfeffer

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Guest Chelsea Martyn
Hi All:

Getting a P0507 code on my 1999 V8 which  reads "RPM Idle Higher The Expected".  Looking up the code it mentions several potential issues. 

Has anyone ever had their battery go flat necessitating a higher then normal RPM at idle or driving to recharge th battgery?

Mark Pfeffer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a higher than normal idle in concert with on occasions, erratic idle and stalling on cold.

It was the air inlet control valve in my case causing it.

Hi All:

Getting a P0507 code on my 1999 V8 which  reads "RPM Idle Higher The Expected".  Looking up the code it mentions several potential issues. 

Mark Pfeffer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, can't help - but these error codes are a bit of a nightmare! I've just got a P1336. You mention above that you "looked up the code" - sorry if it's a stupid question, but WHERE can I look these codes up?

Thanks

Rob S

The V8 has a closed loop control system for the idle so the actual load on the engine (alternator, air con, etc.) Instead it has a target idle speed. You're problem is that somehhing in this closed loop system isn't working to achieve the target speed - you're running too fast.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Neal:

It looks like the alternator is about to shoot craps on me. According to others who have had this happen, my Esprit exhibits the symptoms including:

Idle speed about 200-400 ROM too high

Stalling while driving (and refusing to restart)

Won't start when warmed up

Speedometer going crazy, even reading speeds while car stands still at idle

Looks like I delve into the alternator this weekend. SIGH! Plan on having the alternator rebuilt, but re-wound for 120 AMPS instaed of the stock 90 AMPS.

Feff