free hit
counters
Speakers in an SE - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Freeman

Speakers in an SE

Hi Chaps and chapesses, the sound system in an SE is not good, and despite buying reference drive units the sound from my system is still lacking in the oomph department. I do not want it loud because the engine note is nicer to listen to. However the reference speakers 7 inch over all diameter need to be moved, but where to, the only options I can think of is to move them to the doors. The lower part of the door close to the hinge will work mechanically, although the magnet is very close to the window motor, I would mount it close to the bottom of the door card and about 6.5 inches in from the edge. Alternatively they could go right up the top of the door where the ash tray is, this could be moved down to the bottom.

Guess my question is:- has anyone moved theirs, if so where and what max size was possible, also, is the S4 any different or do they have a different door card.

Many thanks all..............

Dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mine are in the door, think the S4+ are the same - different card altogether and locking mechanisms

Hi Dave

I want to upgrade mine, I currently have kenwood in th dash and clarion in the rear. I was thinking maybe tweeters in the doors? and was also going to look into a sub inbetween the seats near where the storage pocket is, not a massive boom box, just a quality unit. Do you run an amp?

I have been trying to read up on it.

hello dave the s4 has them behind the seats and in the dash, i replaced the ones behind the seats and in the dash with fusion (they had clarion in), the old dash mounted ones went in the bin as the cardboard cones were shot, the rears are still in quite good nick (one in excellent condition) the sound difference is much better, may be worthwhile just upgrading them or putting a tweeter in the roof (space providing

Hi Chris, I was not going to go for a sub, I have a pretty good Alpine system with an I pod adaptor, my rear speakers are behind the seats and are Infinity Reference speakers, they were about £140 pounds, 90w capacity (270 RMS), I also replaced the front speakers cannot remember wht they are but again pretty good. But just cannot get good sound. The standard system in Megans Porsche puts mine to shame. I do have an old amp which was fitted to the car before I got it (13 years ago) it still works but not fitted (not sure how to wire it up.

The base is very poor and its just not good.

Perhaps it is just not possible to get good sound, perhaps a bose system with much smaller speakers.

Dave

I know a bit about speakers as i did part of my degree on them.

Basically you want the hardest cones you can get, thats what quality drivers are. Sounds like you already have these. There is room in the door for speakers but it is tight.

Does the Porsche system also have a sub? You cannot detect where bass comes from (thats why sub woofers work)so you can position the sub anywhere in the cabin. An amp will alow you to drive the speakers harder without straining the equipment.

I have been trying to read up on itbut all i can find is chav boom boxes. I wanted to go more high end, but am struggling to find information.

Chris

Make sure the speakers behind the seats are screwed firmly and directly to the wooden bulkhead, and that there's no carpet sandwiched between. This will improve the bass, mine sounded poor as the carpet was between the speaker and the bulkhead.

Also there is a SWE-1000 powered subwoofer available from Alpine that fits neatly in the passenger footwell, it reduces legroom by about 4" but it makes a huge difference to the bass. Not perfect but in an Esprit you have to compromise a bit if you want decent sound.band.gif

Edited by stevem

Good quality dash speaker and small speaker behind seats. Decent powerful dab stereo,

I have a bad habbit , What ever car i drive, I end up listening to engine/car/wind/any noise or feeling, its really not good, i find faults with everything,

I think i can find a prob when there aint any, GF not impressed when i keep turning volume down fish.gif

Dave,

Too funny. I just ordered new speakers over the weekend to arrive at my one house. ( yes on travel again...lol ) And then whilst sitting in my hotel tonight I began to look at what it would be to change the door cards to have the addition of more speakers and ideal location for tweeters is on the A pillar almost face level. Investigating the custom subwoofer options available with one of my local stereo technicians. I believe Chris has it right...amp needed to push things along better. Started doing my research over the weekend. As it is now I have the Kenwood SAT/NAV DNX Excelon series. The sound from it is great but can always be improved.

Edited by cjtpb13

It surprises me how quite esprit's are in cabin with windows up, radio on. On the out side on the other hand, censored.gif it loud.

I think there are some important and basic rules one should not loose sight of.

If I want to listen to music I have a Marantz system in my lounge room.

If I want to drive a fast car I have an Esprit in my garage.

I have an antiquated Sony in the Esprit which is due to be changed to solid state system (SD cards & USB) + bluetooth and microphone, thats not going to change a pretty ordinary sound, I might upgrade the speakers some time but it's not a priority. I mainly listen to classical so a sub woofer is of litle interest. Most car speaker are crap, real speakers have real enclosures, so decent rear speakers can be made to work but the fronts unless enclosed (and I doubt thers's room) will never sound that good.

I have a long drive tomorrow and have loooked out some Handel organ stuff and some opera, althought pretty much a standard system, I shall enjoy the music.

But the main problem with the Esprit is I can't wear my cap backwards and my sound system doesn't vibrate the foot path.:thumbup:

The speakers in an Exige are just behind my right ear (and behind the passengers). I don't know what system it is but it is excellent, especially considering that my exhaust is so loud, yet the speakers go over the top without distortion.

Brings a whole new meaning to "Driving by the seat of your pants".:thumbup:

Guest mkelite

id rather listen to the engine! cant wait to get an Esprit.............especially if its one of the last V8s! DC.

Bibs,

Do you ever work.?.LOL Where do you find the time to find these things? Great solution...

Well thanks to Dave Freeman and Bibs I have yet again spent more money to help the global economy. I finally get my Lotus back next week from the shop. Awaiting me at my house in MD is a Kenwood self powered slim subwoofer. So now I will be able to install the weekend of the 7th and let you know how it works out. I am also uprgrading the other four speakers at the same time. I have come to realise that I have missed the Lotus quite a bit.

Hi Christopher, glad you have got your ride back, love to see pics of your install. By the way we have all your bits now but still waiting for you to send delivery address. Will send straight away.

Dave

Chris

How did the sub woofer install go?

I've been thinking of fitting that Kenwood under seat sub woofer in my S3 but I've mocked up a box using the dimensions on Kenwood's spec sheet and I can't find a good position to locate the unit, there is certainly not enough space under the seats on my car.

The best position I've been able to find is up behind the glove box in the passenger footwell, but there are quite a lot of cables and heating pipes that would need to be moved to get it to fit. Where did you locate your unit? I'd be interested to see any photos of the install if you have some to share.

Colin,

Due to the Lotus dealership I have yet gotten the chance to install it in the car. However they are finally supposed to have the car ready by this Friday. ( only six months to repair, what I could have done myself in a month )

I too also made a mock up and since I do not sit there, I will slide passenger seat a bit forward on the rail and mount behind the seat. Normally my safety/tool bag sits behind there.

Once I get the Esprit back I will be doing the install ( hopefully over the weekend ) I will post pictures after I get completed and whilst I am on travel.

Christopher

Hi folks, well got bored today and had another look at the hi fi, then decided to go to a company called Audio phile, they had a good look and to my astonishment they said that the front speakers were the most important, I thought the rear ones were the primary speakers. So the crappy ones I had (pioneer) £35 each were pulled out and a fresh pair of FOCUS speakers 4 inch (£80) were fitted. I was told that sub woofer which they showed me would make it sound better but I went with the new speakers to start with.

Fitted the speakers, wow what a difference, it sounds great, clean crisp, goodish base.

This is almost good enough but I will get the subwoofer at some £250 in should sound great.

Dave

Dave,

Your front speakers, did you have two-way or three-way speakers installed?

I have yet to get Lotus back. In six months they have installed a manifold and put in the new radiator. And removed the damaged body parts, well half because the rear bumper is still on.

I have three-way 4" ready for the front and three-way 6.5" for the rear with a self powered subwoofer to be placed behind the passenger seat on rear bulkhead.

What type of subwoofer are you leaning towards?

Christopher,

As you are still waiting on your Esprit, I suggest you ship the speakers to me and I'll test them in my car for you. I'm very kind like that.

I looked at my stereo the other day and the PO had crosswired the left and right with the front and rear, so everything was out of phase :) I have wired it all correctly now, so that has helped. The other option was to turn my ears upside down and swap the left with the right on my head.

Dave what speakers are you running in the rear? as these will help with the bass, as you need the larger size to move the air.

I have been reading up on amps, I think I will be installing a good quality one soon as this should help to improve the quality, as it is far better than driving them from the head unit. Actually just remebered I have an old amp in a box, I may go and play....

Chris

Chris,

LOL... I also wonder if swapping and turning the ears would have been far easier. Just recalling the mess of wires under the dash, when I installed the double DIN Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 SatNav in the Esprit, made me cringe.

Though for the speakers and self powered subwoofer I have also stayed with Kenwood components for the Lotus.

Does the area at the rear bulkhead play a factor? Also, is there any additional work you would do, i.e. dynamat, during installation?

( side note: tried to send you a PM the other day with a few questions and general hello. Hope all is well and sure you are coming to the busy season with the books. )

Edited by cjtpb13