free hit
counters
No spark on 74 Elite - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SafraneV6RXE

No spark on 74 Elite

After fitting the engine/box back to my 74 Elite,everything connected up it turns over fine,but no spark,swopped coils with a known working unit,still no spark

It has luminition fitted which looks old and dated,if the control box packed up i guess no spark??

Was going to go back to new points/condensor to try and get a spark,but has anyone else had a simular problem with the Luminition control boxes?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes, they have been known to die every now and then... but it is worth doing the usual checks with the multimeter across the LT side of the ignition system before you buy something to replace it.

If no fault shows up, put some points and a condensor back in and see what happens. You can always buy a modern ignition unit at a later date if the points and condenser get you up and running. If it works with them, you have elimintated everything other than the control box.

Good luck.

D

Have you checked out the solenoid on the starter motor (as it provides the supply from the battery). it gives you the 12V supply to the coil on turnover that is needed due to the drop in V as the engine is turned.

IIRC the normal supply with engine running is 9V but on turnover this drops to 7V ish but the solenoid bypasses this on turnover to supply a hi-er V.

When I had this problem the engine sometime caught momentarily as I released the ignition from III to II. Spent ages trying to sort the problem, to prove the point I ran a line direct from the battery cable attachment on the solenoid to the coil and the car started, so I replaced the solenoid and all was well.

Dermot

Hi guys,

On my Elite there was a wire from the rev counter to the coil. I cut that and it fired straight up! since found out that the rev counter was shorting to earth.