free hit
counters
Hmmmm Clutch or Gearbox? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hopo

Hmmmm Clutch or Gearbox?

Hello all,

I wanted to try and pick the massive collective brain that is the Lotus forums. My car has been running like a dream. Realy well (after many moneys spent!) I got in the car the other day and the clutch felt very light, very light and would only bite with my foot to the floor. Makes it easier to drive at higher speeds though. This seems to have happened overnight really. but on my drive back from Manchester to London i noticed that it was getting harder to get into second and first gear and required a good push of the armn to get it into gear. Reverse is also crunching terribly... Any diagnosis?

I belive my clutch is near the end of its life and has been adjusted to the max so that it can be used but it is not slipping at all. Is this a case of something come loose or do i need to get the chequebook out again?

Regards,

Jon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds like hydraulics mate - check your master cylinder fluid level. My guess is that the slave cylinder seal is leaking. Easy fix!

I agree with Sparky..it's probably hydraulics. Either the slave cylinder seals or the master cylinder....fluids (other than the silicone ones) absorb moisture and the water tends to collect in the bottom of the cylinder and rust it away...and that can be a contributory factor. It's the sort of job you can do on a Sunday morning before going down the pub to celebrate!!

Gee... I love you guys sometimes!

My clutch slave cylinder/resevoir thingy.. think its the master bit (bit in the front) was as empty as Manchester City's Trophy cabinet (Not for long!)and there was a leaky residue from the part by the clutch spring at the back. looks like i need a new one... What part do i need to order? is it the slave cylinder itself? im told this is a pretty easy thing to fix yourself... just bleed the system, replace then bung it all back together again.. Im sure even i can do that. I will certainly be celebrating with a few pints.

Slave cylinder can either be repaired with a seal kit, or get a new one off ebay for a tenner...

Check out the parts cross reference for which one to get, think theres a link to the ebay seller in there as well although not 100% sure on that bit.