free hit
counters
Poll: Evora - Buy now or wait? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Squidward

Poll: Evora - Buy now or wait?

Evora -- Buy now or wait?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi guys I'm trying to decide if I should wait or buy the Evora now. I want to get your opinion via this poll.

I'm not wealthy, more of your average bloke that has saved up for his dream car. I'm 39 on the verge of getting married, buying a house, kids, etc.... I had a goal of driving a dream car before I lose all of my hair :thumbup:

What should I do? I love the Evora-- test drove it this past weekend. It was very peppy and handled even better than my modded RX-8.

I most likely won't be tracking the car, only to enjoy it as a "check me out" work of art on wheels, and the occasional spirited drive around southern California.

As a child I dreamt that one day I would be driving an exotic automobile. Now I have the money but I want to make the right decision...

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So you're asking on a forum dedicated to Lotus whether or not you should buy a Lotus. Actually, a Lotus that has won acclaim from just about every motoring magazine there is.

Tough question... Let me think. Oh and Hi Scott.:thumbup:

I'm 39 on the verge of getting married, buying a house, kids, etc....

How much for your children? :thumbup:

Get an Evora Scott, never live with regrets and not buying your dream car will be a regret at some point in the future :cheers:

Act quickly and you may get one cheap. This one on Ebay does not have a reserve and is at $46,300 with 21 hr to go. Of course, it may be a scam but, if I had the money, I would be investigating it.

Thanks for the linkie...auction seems legit, IMO. Unfortunately it's not quite the color I am interested in...

Also, I'm wary of buying something this expensive out of state. Florida isn't a state I'd trust to buy a a car from either... Salty air corrodes aluminum and I also read there are provisions that allow dealerships to clear a salvage title, not that this is one of them..

So you're asking on a forum dedicated to Lotus whether or not you should buy a Lotus.

I noted that scott was looking for a "check me out work of art on wheels" and an "exotic automobile".

So i went with the 'Buy a different Lotus' option, not that i think the Evora is rubbish, but i think when you are looking for a 'check me out exotic' Lotus, then a two seater supercar such as the Esprit fits the bill and matches the description much much better.

:thumbup:

"I most likely won't be tracking the car, only to enjoy it as a "check me out" work of art on wheels, and the occasional spirited drive around southern California."

On which basis I would say NO - at this price bracket, for this criteria I can think of cars i wouild rather own - like a Ferrari 355. I like the looks but that's not universally the case.

The Evora is a drivers car first and foremost and on that basis it's the gift that keeps giving.

I'm 39 on the verge of getting married, buying a house, kids, etc....

Now's the time to do it before the above mentioned attachments turn into a 'money pit' and the car of your dreams remains such for many more years. If you've got it, you can always sell it. If you've never owned it, you can only dream.....

Buy it and never look back...

Bought it and haven't looked back, despite a few niggles

At 39 we could never have afforded it since we had just bought house, got married and had child - had to wait until the pennies accumulated again. Then we decided to do it before we got to looking too old to be driving that sort of car rofl.gif

Buy it if you want it & can afford it. You sure as hell will not be able/allowed to after kids etc. until you come out the other end, or unless your income goes up as something else is always far more important. I married much younger, and had nice but mass produced fast cars pre kids, and even they went for a while while we got through the financial drain period only to return to exotic toys later after kids headed out to Uni. Hopefully still not too old to be seen driving them though!! Better grey hair, than nae hair I say! rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all the feedbacks guys...

Lots of great points made.

I think I'm going to go with the "buy it now" approach. :)

Thrice I have given into love at first sight!

Oh wait that's four times.. (forgot about the fiancé :^P)

I'm not 100% sure what to do right now.

I was disappointed that the 2+2 was more suited to the role of parcel shelf but I've come around the thinking that's it still better than nothing. My current Elise has been absolutely stunning in terms of driving fun and absolute lack of any niggle whatsoever in 2 years of happy motoring. However I do like the idea of more creature comforts, more of a GT type car, something less of a go-kart and to me the Evora fits that bill nicely and more importantly it's still a Lotus.

On the other hand for the same price as an ex-demo Evora I could get myself into an Aston Vantage which doesn't have a Toyota lump! sofa.gifLikewise there's the Maserati Grantura or 4200 probably for a lot less outlay, again with a stunning engine. My problem with both of these is the potential for some rather unpleasant running costs , not to mention nasty surprises, especially with the Maser....oh and for some reason Porsches don't hold any appeal whatsoever, never have, never will!

Any thoughts?

Edited by spritzer

I actually test drove a Vantage before taking an Evora out, and I found the Evora just a lot more fun :) The cockpit feels more 'open' as well, so for me the Evora felt like a better fit.

Now I find myself seriously considering one, if I decide I can get it up my drive!

I've recently decided to just 'Go for it'.

I'm still quite young, so though. I'd better get it out of my system before the money munchers come along! Saying that I doubt cars will ever be out of my system! Ha!

This will probably be the only brand new car I'll buy though.. Live for the moment!

Good man, well done and enjoy the new car when it arrives :lol::whistle::D

I spoke to the Factory today to try and sort a Tour out, and they said it's already going to the paint shop. They said late June, early July time so not long!

What's the handover like? Quite exciting? Or just a simple hand over of keys. Never bought new before so quite excited!

I'm also hoping to book myself onto the Lotus Ring trip in September, hopefully have it ran in by then!

So you will have it for our 1st August run then....but wait, are you offshore then?

The handover is quite fun, Graeme goes over all the equipment and how it works including the knack of how you close the fuel filler cover!!

A few bits of paper that Graeme has to tick boxes on, you sign and then your off for an exciting trip back up to Aberdeen.

My car is in for 1st service on Monday and looking forward to getting it back and using the full rev range.

Are you planning to go to the Lotus at the Ring 2010 event organised by RSR Nurberg? I was there last year for this event and had a fantastic time.

LotusAtTheRing_12.jpg

My car is the Yellow Elise in row 2 and it was my first time at the Ring, sadly I can't make it this year but plan to do the Spa and Ring event next year.

My wife enjoys her taxi lap in the factory Evora driven by Matt Becker

Nurburgring2009077.jpg

Yeah i'm hoping so, just need to find someone to come with me! I was over at the ring in 2008 with my TVR, got one lap done then failed a noise test, so banned for the rest of the weekend! Ha!

Yeah offshore on the 1st I'm afraid :lol:

Never realised you had picked it up! Care to post a quick review so far? I'm jealous!

In a word "FABULOUS".

I am just about to leave for Elgin and plan to come back via The Lecht so will post a review tonight.

Good for you, Justin. Enjoy your youth... I see too many old fogeys driving their dream car as if it was the last car they will ever own... (probably!)

BTW owning am Evora has been a real eye opener.

Caertain people expressed their disapproval of my purchase decision. You'd think they'd be happy for me...

Oh well.