free hit
counters
10 things to do when the engine is out? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
esprit17

10 things to do when the engine is out?

Hi All,

first of all thanks for the pointers in the previous thread. The diagnoses is a cracked liner so the replacement part is being sourced as I don't think there is much value in replacing all the liners

As this is still only my 3rd week of ownership (36miles travelled to date) I don't have much knowledge on how to turn this mis-fortune in to an opportunity to complete some preventive maintenance

background to the car V8 GT Dec 98

53K, full dealer history (basically totalling £25K to date)

work completed on the engine to date - new hoses oil and water (both sides), new boost capsule & new alternator

the rest of the costs are disks, clutches, bearings, wiring harness issues, drive shafts + seals, hi flow cats (PUK) etc.

Having spent some considerable on the forums there are some common themes so I've though of a few as starters

1. Drill out the corroded studs ( manifold and turbo) and replace with S/S Studs - any recommendations on type / manufacturer

2. Inspect the petrol tanks and remove/ dip and recoat

3. Replace the famous red hydraulic clutch pipe with S/S

4. Remove and replace the heat shields to prevent future rattle

5. Remove / inspect the other cylinder head / cylinders / liners... what else whould be checked / replaced.. bearings

6. ??

7. ??

8. ??

9. ??

10. ??

Not too sure about the rest, I have about £2.5K budget to play with (labour cost at £60+ VAT). So I need to be focused on what is cost efficient to do when the engine is out. + anything that will improve reliability. Just a thought, should I consider reconditioning the turbo's now or wait until failure?

thanks again

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I´m not convinced that your budget it enough, but here is a list of things to consider replacing if you´re having the engine/gearbox out and both top and bottom-end apart:

- check other pistons/liners for wear and possible replacement

- replace conrod shell bearings

- intermediate shaft roller bearings

- timing belts, tensioners and idlers

- primary shaft pilot bearing

- engine and gearbox metallastic mounts

- clutch friction plates and release bearing

- gearbox driveshaft oil seals

- rear wheel bearings

By the way, the V8 doesn´t have the clutch hose problem.

If you can retain your sense of humour after that lot then you´ll be in good shape.

Good luck.

Mike S

- Inspect each turbo's compressor and exhaust wheels for any damage. The turbos can be removed with the engine in situ but it is a nightmare job

- You mention the alternator needs replacing - are all the other ancillaries okay? AFAIK the alternator is the only one which can be replaced with the engine in situ, the air con pump requires removing the LH turbo and the power steering and water pumps are engine out jobs

- Trailing arm bushes, otherwise requires removing both turbos

if the engine is out, or just before as long as you still on the 'inspection of things' trail ....if you have undone the sump to see what happend there with the crank and rods -inspect to oilpressure valve ..any signs of a seized piston in it would indicate an lack of maintenance (in opposite to what the dealer promised you..) as for the bad old oil. Originally the piston is coated with some sort of *teflon-plastics* , but the aluminium piston in the valve can get locked.

Tighten the bulkhead nuts and bolts. £Free!

LEW clicky for step by step guide.

Neal, the Air Con pump is definitely removable in situ without removal of any other parts. Its a bit of a PITA, but completely doable. That was my introduction to maintaining an Esprit :blush:

Edited by M3S2k

How about inspection/replacement of water pump? I've not done one, but I understand that it's easiest with engine out, or am I mistaken?

Take the bloody fuel tanks out, get them cleaned pressure tested, protective coating. :w00t:

^^^ well thats just plain simple that none of us apparently thought about that one. LOL

Cheers guys,

update - Mike S, you were right about the small budget so i've had to focus cheap high benefit fixes as other small issues came to light such as when the gear box was removed the input drive shaft was found to be damaged.

Below is a summary of the work being carried out

1) engine and gearbox mounts replaced with sport 350 parts (preventive)

2) replace trailing arm bushes (preventive)

3) removal of petrol tanks (preventive - but upon inspection they are fine, with small amounts of corrosion/ paint peel, I'll recoat) Help - replacement of the open foam with closed -any ideas what to use and source?

4) removal of turbos and recondition (preventive - turbo's inspected no problems here, just need to replace a couple of exhaust manifold studs due to corrosion)

5) bulk head (tightened as per procedure, cheers GKP)

6) studs on cylinder head removed, just sourcing replacement studs from pnm (needed)

7) remaining cylinders, bearings, conrods etc inspected (preventive feedback that the engine is in very good condition with no evidence of wear)

8) replace both cylinder head gaskets (preventive)

9) fit supplied clutch

10) fit new manifold

11) fit strengthened heat shields

12) fit replacement input shaft

13) tighten NSF wheel bearing

14) refit new liner and piston

15) various seals including drive shafts

16) inspect gearbox when split to fir new input shaft

expected costs circ £3.3K excluding clutch and assuming no further work identified

I'll post some photographs this week of the cracked liner and general progress, but overall the condition of the car appears good so no regrets

Nice worklist you´ve got there.

On the tank foam front, I can help if you want. I recently aquired a quantity of closed-cell foam (100cm x 100cm x 2cm). As the minimum order quantity was 80quid, I have tons left over. I can cut you up a set of 4 foam pads to pattern and stick them in the post.

PM your address details if you want me to go ahead?

Hopefully you won´t have to wait for too long before you can enjoy the car :)

Cheers,

Mike S

Alternatively, you can source them from these guys - you want 15Kg/m3. Very helpful and efficient service:

Lesley @ Sherlock Foams

Cheers,

Mike S

ok my 10 cents worth...

do everything listed above and also change the stock "cast" pistons to "forged" ones, they dissipate heat so much better, the 4 cyl lotus engines have them, but the V8 does not, instead there is oil squirters under the pistons and they dump more fuel into the engine at high boost to help cool the pistons yet i have seen melted piston crowns and shattered rings a few times because the cast pistons failed under high engine loads (they melt) !!!

I had a set made for mine by J&E pistons

http://www.jepistons.com/

-Marcus

Hi Guys,

Pics of the damaged liner, doesn't look much!

Engine rebuild about to start

Just waiting on the tanks to come back

I reakon another two weeks, so i'll be missing yet another bank holiday!

cheers

post-9944-127214234835.jpg

post-9944-127214236036.jpg

Are you going to weld that up? stuart.gif

Not too sure if it is possible, whether it's worth the risk for the £250 saving on the piston / liner replacement I'm just not that brave!!

I don't know.....emery cloth to smooth it, J.B. Weld to fill in the hole, and duct tape to reinforce, should be good as new. :thumbsup:

But seriously, yeah, I'd think a few bucks on a new liner is more than deserved.

Re the tank foam - Mikes looks great - -you are very lucky! but I had the same dilemma.

In the end, I did a typical slewthy-cobble thats worked out well.

Halfords had a sale which meant their stuff came down to the right price. They sell tool chest top mats - £6 in the sale. Two of these closed cell foam boys sandwiched together and trimmed to fit worked really well. I was going to go down the astroturf route (golf practice mat the right size for 2 and cheap) but I'm glad I found these. Much better and neater.

Oh, things to do when engine out - clean it! Repaint all that needs paint and marvel at your work.