free hit
counters
How are the liners sealed to the block? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Coleman

How are the liners sealed to the block?

Is there some kind of 'O' ring or other type of gasket between the bottom of the liner and the block? I'm thinking of having my liners re-seated and re-sealed whilst my engine is apart and I don't feel confident doing it myself. So I rang a local engineering company who asked me the question about the seal and I hadn't got a clue. Looking in the workshop manual it doesn't seem to say anything about an 'O' ring?

Thanks, Paul.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Okay, thanks. I noticed in the workshop manual it says Hylomar but SJ Sportscars sell Loctite 572 instead. Is the Loctite stuff better than Hylomar does anybody know? Also, Hylomar seems to be available in various different sorts but the manual doesn't state which one is needed?

Paul.

The liners are fitted to the block using an anaerobic adhesive..S&J sell some brilliant stuff which really works. But, to start with, why would you want to disturb the present seal? If it's sealing nicely at the moment, best by far not to disturb it. It is extremely unlikely for the seal to fail in service, only if the engine has been dismantled...and I've had mine apart several times without disturbing the original factory seal, with no ill effects. As long as the liners haven't been moved, they're best left..and I've found it takes a pretty strong pull with a special tool to get them to shift at all! If you do decide to remove then, they must go back in the same locations and the exact same position as they were, otherwise the pistons and rings will not be in the positions they have bedded in to. Also, there is a very large amount of cleaning required of the liners and block before reassembly.

That's the problem - I don't know if they have moved or not. I took the pistons out from the bottom but I haven't had liner clamps on the liners themselves at all during my cleaning process. My engine was covered in red paint and I've cleaned the block with a pressure washer!!

I just though to be on the safe side it would be worth doing?

Paul.

I think it unlikely they will have moved, it took quite a lot of force to move mine with a home made tool..you could try filling the block up with water around the liners, block off any holes e.g.waterpump with gaffer tape or similar...and leave it to see if any water comes past the liners. Also check the liner "nip" and if that's OK, you ought to be laughing.

Thanks for the reply. I think there may be a problem with the current 'nip' please see my other thread ragarding the 'nip'

Thanks, paul.