free hit
counters
Safest place for axle stands front Excel please? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mkelite

Safest place for axle stands front Excel please?

Guest mkelite

hi guys. trying to drop rad from bottom on Excel. can someone please remind me how and where the safest place is to put 'axle' stands at front. always have a job raising car enough on my trolley jack tho............... ta. DC.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I go for the inner wishbone joints, that way the strong section of the wishbone transfers the load via nice solid bush to the 1/2 inch thick pin then to the chassis.

I've just completed a rad change on my Excel. I put small blocks of wood in the tops of my axle stands, and positioned them either end of the suspension crossmember, just inboard of the wishbone joints.

Top rad change hint - the fan cowl is held to the rad by 6 screws and small spire nuts. As far as I could see it is necessary to separate them in the car - the rad comes out underneath, the fan cowl on top. Temporarily screw the cowl back to the new rad on the workbench, and use some silicone sealant to fix the spire nuts in place. This will save you hours of fiddling when you come to mate them back together in the car - the top spire nuts are very inaccessible when the rad is in place!