free hit
counters
AVO Rear Shock Absorbers - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
matk

AVO Rear Shock Absorbers

Just getting to know my Eclat and found I have a pair of what look like very new AVO adjustable rear shocks.

As I've

A) never played with adjustable shocks before and

B) never had an Eclat before,

has anyone any experiences or advice regarding setting the adjustors? There seem to be about 16 clicks between the two extreme settings, the left and right were set at different settings, so I've started by putting them midrange on the same setting, but haven't had a chance to road test yet.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The setting adjusts the bound (not necessarily rebound) rating of the damper.

Dunno how much street racing you intend to do with that car but usualy people start with them at 1 extreme and work towards a setting a few clicks / 100 miles or so until happy.

You could take it to a skidpa....roundabout and fling it in and see if it over or under steers - if the arse comes out dial a bit less in, if it's too understeery harden it up a bit (usually clockwise).

That's exactly the best way to do it. Start in the middle and adjust to taste was the advice I got from a chassis dynamics engineer at the factory :)

If you find that they're still too soft once you've adjusted fully it's time to replace.

Dunno how much street racing you intend to do with that car................

Umm none!!

Good advice to set me off. I'd better start racking up some miles.........

Thats what I mean, if you're not flinging it into corners I would set it so it just rides the bumps nicely.

Well I've just been out for a quick 15 mile spin. Amazing what a difference a few clicks can make. The back is hopping around like an Easter bunny and a very harsh ride. The country roads round here are quite bumpy, so I'm going to soften a couple of clicks and try again.

Other good news though as I've fixed my headlight! Twas a wire popped out of a connector block.

Has anyone tried Bilstein dampers on an Excel?

If so, any suggestions as to frony & rear part numbers and supplier? I've looked at the Bilstein web site and they do not list the Excel.