free hit
counters
Radio Removal - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

I've done some searching with no luck. Does anyone know of a write-up on how to remove the stereo head unit from the dash? I found the link below, but there seems to be a dead link as the "Stereos" and "Full ICE Install" links go to the same write-up (which doesn't have the basics of removing the radio).

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/ice.html

Thanks in advance!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It depends entirely on which headunit you have in the car. Some require pins to release locking tabs, other have tabs to release the, er, tabs. Some have little tags that you push up once the plastic trim-surround has been removed.

They all have similar requirements but different ways of going about it. Do you know which make/model of headunit you have?

I replaced my Single DIN with a Double DIN SAT/NAV, I too had a difficult time removing the stereo, which was not the original. I even had the special keys to the existing stereo. No luck whatsoever... I ended up removing the sleeve holding the stereo in very carefully and pulling the complete assembly out. PITA for certain but the only option I had. I had even stopped in to a custom stereo install shop, they refused to touch the car as they wanted no liability for potential damage to the centre console. I found that the bundle of wires behind the unit and the heater controls were also hindering the removal process. The " ball " of wires were not allowing the stereo to slide out any matter of distance. I spent more hours removing the old stereo than I did in modifying the centre console to move the heater controls and reinstalling the new SAT/NAV stereo.

brute froce worked for me, think it was a sony cassette radio with the cd changer in the boot, most stereo keys work may require a bit of jiggling. still i have seen some one use a dremil to cut one out one piece at a time

GKP is correct, what I did was to look on the net at the make and model fitted by PO and found a pair of thin nosed pliers would do it. :thumbsup: I also took the opportunity to print out the manual.

I was able to remove the original Blaupunkt cassette unit from my '89 by getting into the passenger footwell and pushing it out from the back. You may be able to create better access by removing some of the HVAC trunking first. Try to push it straight out, and go slowly to avoid scratching the leather on the sides of the radio surround. Once you move it just a half-inch or so you can then pull from the front. Check periodically to make sure the wiring isn't caught on something.

Wear gloves and long sleeves; many sharp edges back there! Good luck.

Regards,

Tom