free hit
counters
Tree Surgeons... - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bibs

Tree Surgeons...

Cost a fortune!

Anyone know anyone? SE London/Kent area. Ta :unsure:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You just check out my FB page! Just had them here doing 2 silver birches. Luckily I know them from my Business networking so (cash in hand) cost me £70 for 2 tree's cut back, topped and shaped.

Sadly I don't think they would like to drive all the way to Kent for the same deal!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I want about 2 dozen 40' high silver birches gone! Ask 'em if they're still there, the job is in Bromley.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

When we were in Bromley, Fran was Sec of the Management Company for our communal land. She had to get tree work done regularly and found that

MJM Forestry 01959 534765 - Keepers Cottage Shoreham Lane, Chelsfield, Kent, BR6 7QT

were pretty good. We've not found anyone cheap tho - certainly nothing like Kimbers has had. Since we've been here in Somerset we've had to have some of our big beech trees felled - b****y health and safety people interfering! The biggest one cost over £2k on its own (roughly 25tons) and that was leaving most of the thing exactly where it fell - which was much cheaper than it might have been if they'd removed everything from site - took three days to get it down mind you.

Actually, 40' isn't that tall. DIY really is an option if there's room to let them fall over. If they need to be dismantled rather than felled then you'll need a professional team - and it will cost alot! I've got most of the toys required chain saws, a chipper, ropes, pulleys, hoist, etc. and am now used to dealing with reasonably substantial trees. But dont underestimate the dangers, a relatively small bit can weigh half a ton and if it decides its going somewhere you dont want it you probably cant stop it. Let me know if you need MPx services to put in an appearance!

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Using one on the site I'm developing at Surrey Quays, I'm sure he'll quote you. Think you might have my new mobile (07540 not 07816) so give me a call if you have, PM or email if you ain't. Might get you mate's rates, if you still wanna be my mate, mate!

Dave.

Sorry, they're Poplar's and not Silver Birch trees and were once a windbreak around a cricket pitch, now a housing development of course!

I want to DIY them, hire a cherry picker and chainsaws and I think we'll get them down in a few days. The trunks are destined for firewood and twigs would be mulched/chipped and my pal whose house it is is also keen to DIY but his other half won't have it and wants a tree surgeon in due to the dangers of us two having chainsaws etc. Quotes so far range from £12,000 (really, to cut down 24 trees!) to £3,500 and a DIY job would cost less than £500 I think inc everything and even PLI!

Here they are on streetview - I'm not sure how old this pic is but they still look the same now...

post-1-12708941115.jpg

Streetview Clicky

Evora NA

re the DIY option, I dont think hire shops can hire out chainsaws unless you can prove or have some sort of certificate of competence, also you may require an IPAF card to hire a cherry picker or MEWP

IPAF = international powered access federation

MEWP = mobile elevated work platform

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

The Bibmeister with a chainsaw in hand?!!!shock.gifcry.gif

"Run away! Run away!"

biggrin.gif

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

That would be harder than it looks given the tightness of the site - not much room between the house and the trees. Even if the car park were cordoned off for exclusive use of a cherry picker, there's a resonable chance that an awkward piece would take out a section of fence instead of falling on the house side. If there's anything in the garden...it will be destroyed (including the lawn). The £12k quote may have included lowering all substantial elements on ropes to prevent any damage. Takes ages when they do that. Given their size, I'd be surprised if you could fell firewood and clear more than 4/day and that would be hard week's work.

I guess you've already checked, but any tree over 20foot in Bromley needs the permission of the council tree lady to be taken down - thats even if there's no TPO and most often there is. Do it without permission ... and if anyone notices you'd be required to reinstate them and are likely to face a heavy fine - even more expense!

That's why God made nighttime.devil.gif

sofa.gif

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

So with that in mind is the £3.5k a reasonable quote then? Perhaps I was being over ambitious with 'a chainsaw and a couple of days and we'll walk it into the green via holes our pockets'? :thumbsup:

Evora NA

I topped the trees down the side of my old house, probably took about 10' - 15' off the tops to give more light, and they were not thick trunked at all but very bushy.

It was amazing how much was actually up there when you see it all on the ground! And they weigh a significant amount when the trunks get that thick!

Its not a job to be taken on lightly but I'd cringe at paying someone the amounts being quoted, but what options do you have?

Did Kimbers get back to you at all?

I'm thinking Howard may well be right with the H&S bullshit these days making hiring such equipment difficult and its in such a conspicuous place you'd not be able to get it done without the propper permissions and informing the carpark owners who may themselves impose some restrictions.

If it were my back yard I think you'd get away with it, but in your case I think your stuck!

Chunky Lover

The whole problem is that the house is for sale and no-one wants to buy it with all the trees in the garden. To get a sale, £3.5k can be seen as economical but I just thought doing it ourselves would be fun and save a few grand in the process.

Evora NA

surely you will need some sort of insurance e.g. public liability

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

I'll tell you what. I've got half a 30 footer that broke in the wind about 8 foot up and needs taking down/tidying/clearing. Also several trunks ready to be cut/split into logs - all at ground level. Pop down and practice on them...you'll see!

The quotes dont mean much without detail. What / How do they intend to do it and what is included as far as chipping/taking away/logging/etc? How long do they expect it to take?

For my £2kplus tree I had 4 blokes, a chipper, a tractor and two vehicles on site for 3 days, all large elements were lowered (to avoid destroying next door's animal shelter) and all arisings were chipped. But the chips just scattered in the wood not taken away, the main trunk just left where it fell, and the smaller boughs cut to about 3 foot and stacked for making firewood later - apparantly that saved me several hundred! It was a big tree though!

Sorry Bibs but the boys who advise caution are absolutely right. We had professionals to lop some 50 foot ash trees in our garden and they took a whole day and charged £500....that was three years ago. The safety kit they had was amazing and Lord only knows how thay can work in that sort of clobber. My immediate neighbour just had his ash trees done which were the same size as mine were originally....four trees...two days...£1200.dry.gif

Though this be madness yet there is method in it ( Polonius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet)

Fair enough, thanks for the advice and Mike, erm, I'll be down soon I promise!

dynamite-sam.jpg

Evora NA

Bibs. Do you have accidental damage on your building insurance? If not be very VERY careful felling a tree, at least if you're covered and something goes wrong the house would be repaired at somebody else's expense, if you don't have that cover and it goes wrong, it's you who has to pay.

The whole problem is that the house is for sale and no-one wants to buy it with all the trees in the garden.

I still don't think Miss Gibson on the council will allow them to be felled - particularly for that sort of reason.....

I have a petrol driven chain saw and quite a lot of experience of smaller trees than those though my own garden and old Scouting connections over the years. My best Man 30 years ago trained as an Arboriculturalist in USA and trained me and we used to do homers in Edinburgh and even homer costs were scary. Some trees then as homers we were getting £2K 30 years ago. It was partly the insurance as one large factor coz even experienced and trained it was expensive. Those are in a difficult position close to a fence and not too far from the house. Even after dropping maybe 50 trees in my time I doubt I can get a much better accuracy than 30 degrees drop zone with any confidence. That includes people on ropes to assist initial direction. Also working in a tree with a chain saw is an EXTREMELY dangerous act requiring much training which you may have considered if trying to shorten them first.

I was also responsible for the local Scout Hall grounds for some years which included several large trees. The council were involved due to location close to old town centre and over roads, thus requiring full street closure signs STOP/GO signs when work ongoing, and the warning about a TPO (Tree Preservation Order) is very real. We were not even allowed to work on them ourselves although my mate was trained. We had to bring in companies from a list approved by the Council. They were worried about us damaging the tree so they would later have to be removed. (Perish the thought) . The defence of not knowing about TPO does not stand in court. You are expected to ask first and cut second. However generally apart from a large fine all they can make you do is reinstate the hedge with similar but as you cannot by that size you are allowed to buy larger than normal, but still smaller trees. However as you have 24 root balls and interwoven roots that have to be dug out first and ground restored. That is another expensive task designed to annoy you for being so stupid in their eyes to think you can beat the system.

Also as others have said there is a HUGE amount of work there. Even logging that lot once felled will keep you busy for days and piss off everybody for 500m due to constant chain saw buzz. You will also have a mountain of wood from just the trunks. Moving and storing that lot will take days literally. As for the disposing of the branches you have a serious quantity of wood there! However another mate was in tool hire and I actually think scarily, that you would be able to hire the kit although they do include all the PPE. You also have to sign every disclaimer under the sun.

You are caught between a rock and a hard place methinks!

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Ta-da!

photo-65.jpg

photo4-7.jpg

photo3-8.jpg

The £3.5k job was done, we moved 12 tonnes on Saturday and there's another 8-10 to go and my pal has enough firewood for life! Hard work just moving the logs, I can see why it costs so much!

Evora NA