free hit
counters
Painting the rear Hubs? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dazmans3

Painting the rear Hubs?

Well I have finally got round to changing the rear lower link bushes. I've got a nice set of Poly bushes ready to fit. However after cleaning up the rear Hub & after seeing the pictures in the How to section of LEW, it looks like those Hubs were painted. If so can any one tell me/ recomend a what paint I could use for this, if at all?

I ve seen it on here somewhere, under the restoration section, however have unable to find.

Does this have to be a special alloy type paint or can any paint with a good primer be used? I have seen an Alloy based paint, but am not convinced it will last very long.

Daz

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

i painted mine. really you need to use a etch primer before you thimk about which paint to use. i used etch primer followed by silver smoothrite out of a spray can. looks good and up to now no flaking

Metal Ready from Frosts does that and you can use their Marine Clean to prep it beforehand. Shame they're out of stock, they've got everything you need otherwise!

post-1-127089577538.jpg

For the hub carriers, provided you clean it well and use an etch primer any decent paint will do, it hasn't got to do much to protect the metal just look pretty, the arms are a different situation.

I used the PRO 15 which was very good, then started topcoating it with shiny stirling silver which was utter shite! Dissolved and wiped clean off with even the threat of anything oil based going near it after, WD40 washed it clean off back to the POR 15....

It is only for cosmetics though, and as for the arms, I've never seen a rusty one. Wire brush it back too much prior to painting and you'll remove the protective coating on it and no paint will be as good a replacement.

Remember thought that if you are going to drive her she will get very dirty underneath again and unless you plan on taking the wheels off and cleaning under the arches on a regular basis theres not really much point in it at all....

I ve always been a fan of Hamerite, had good results in the past, wasn't so sure with the painting the Alli Hubs though. Thought the alli might need a special paint, it seams not.

I've got mine now primed ready for top coat, just got to find some paint for the job.

Bibs, your hubs look great, might wait & see if can get POR 15 later, or might have to go with the old hamerite, esp after your comments(thank you). Time is not on my side & got loads to do on the old gal yet.

That phot is the BigSi project car in my garage and is not what por 15 looks like on it's own as it's been topcoated with sterling silver.

The POR stuff his good though, hard as nails, but if it's not topcoated it can go a little yellowish when exposed to UV light.

I left mine in bare por 15 as I didn't get on Wight the sterling as I said above, I'm quite liking the almost goldy, silver grey finish that happenend when she was on ramps with the wheels off for some time last year.

You can get POR15 from the Frost site. So that gives you a built in delay.

Once on though, (at least 2 thin coats) the POR15 is absolutely bullet proof! Hammerite is a little thicker and seems almost spongy in comparison. As always, prep is everything. Clean, scour without taking off the coating and then etch prime.

Simon is right - its all going to get filthy again but it should be easier to clean. Also, if you dont do it now, you wont get another chance without restripping.

I'm pleased I did all mine.

I had good results with the Stirling silver. It may be important to get the topcoat timing right - the instructions are quite precise. Mine seems stable but I would agree, not as hard as the POR15 chassis paint alone. I forgot to topcoat my rear crossmember and thats starting to go green, just sitting near the garage door!

Thanks for tips, We'll see how it goes. I did my Engine bay Chassis 3 yrs ago in Hamerite, Has so far not pealed off anywhere except from where the manifold is close to chassis member. I intend to modify my Exh manifold heatshield to retify this. The rest looks pretty solid.

Will enquire tomorrow about the POR 15 just the same, though a mate of mine recently told me that POR15 is a bugger to get right. You have to follow the instructions to the letter, or it wont have the right effect.

I used Eastwood's Alumablast which I bought from Frosts in a spray can. I personally (and this is just my preference) don't like using anything that is difficult to get off e.g. powder coating, POR-15. Nothing is forever and sooner or later you will want to get it off if you keep it long enough.

Paul.

Good point Paul, though I like to think that once I ve done a job, I wont need to do it again for a long long time. However it it a Lotus So......

Well all done & back on car. looks great now, was a pig of a job to do however, considering what was envolved. Of course at the show I found out that you can now get the radias arm mounting bushes in poly(Lotus Part). So I have ordered my self a set & thought might as well do them as well. That will mean every bush will have been done.