Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Purge pump runs on - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Purge pump runs on

nicksoldies

On my '89 carb turbo, the purge pump always ran for about 45 minutes and then stopped. I came back to the car today after about four hours and the pump was still running. I turned the ignition off and back on and it stopped the pump. I know the temp' was well below the sixty degrees the pump should stop at. I tried it again tonight and it did just the same, switching the ignition on, off and on stopped it running. I can't see it can be the thermal switch as it's switching the pump on fine so it must be OK. I do notice there is a diode in the feed to the pump, anyone know if this fails it can cause the problem and where I might find it. I've looked at the wiring diagrams but the feed seems to come from one relay to the next and then through another and god knows where from before that. Anyone had a similar problem and sorted it or any ideas? All help appreciated.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

- Mario Andretti

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my '89 carb turbo, the purge pump always ran for about 45 minutes and then stopped. I came back to the car today after about four hours and the pump was still running. I turned the ignition off and back on and it stopped the pump. I know the temp' was well below the sixty degrees the pump should stop at. I tried it again tonight and it did just the same, switching the ignition on, off and on stopped it running. I can't see it can be the thermal switch as it's switching the pump on fine so it must be OK. I do notice there is a diode in the feed to the pump, anyone know if this fails it can cause the problem and where I might find it. I've looked at the wiring diagrams but the feed seems to come from one relay to the next and then through another and god knows where from before that. Anyone had a similar problem and sorted it or any ideas? All help appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just tried it again, run it up to about 75 degrees and turned the ignition off. The pump ran for about 15 mins and then stopped as it should so it's all fine again. For how long, who knows.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

- Mario Andretti

The purge pump on my Excel seemed to partially seize and blew a fuse occasionally. I enquired about the price of a replacement and decided that I could live without it. In hot weather it takes a few seconds longer to start but seems fine as soon as it starts.

Maybe it makes more difference on the carb'd turbos?