free hit
counters
S3 N/A pre85 and post85 differences? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ced77

S3 N/A pre85 and post85 differences?

hi guy,

i would like to know what are the differences between the two models of S3.

i have an S3 nov-1984 and i must change the suspensions and i would like the "bilstein" but i don't know if they are compatible.

sorry for my english i'm french..

cedric Rognes(13), France.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi, short answer. No.

Longer answer.

No, because... the front bottom wishbones are a single pivot to the chassis on pre'85, and double on post'85. The Anti-roll bar on a pre'85 attaches to the wishbone by threaded section at the end and a double bush (one each side of a pate) to give the cars the strength to not push the wheels back when accelerating. Post '85 cars do not need that because of the double pivot, so the ARB slides in the bush.

the pre-'85 cars have trunions at the bottom of the hub carrier, post'85 have a ball joint.

The differences continue in terms of the hub carriers, hubs, brakes etc, but that demonstrates why you could not simply fit post'85 wishbones to an earlier car to get round it.

BY the way, your English is fine, and my spelling was so awful I had to edit my post, so you do not need to apologise.

Andy

Edited by andydclements

what a quickly answer !

i will see tomorrow , under my car if there is a single or a double pivot then i'll known.

thanks for all.

We did fit the lotus setup to the Red 84 turbo LEF project car a few years ago and it fitted a treat although I'm not sure if that was just a development set.

I could probably find out for you.

If yours is an 84 I'd guess you've got the early suspension as well with the solid discs up front.

i look this morning,

and my S3 is a pre 85.

so if it's possible to fit the ""bilstein" suspension i'm very interested else which good kit can i fit on ?

I would not personally recommend Pro-Tech, they seem to wear out too quickly (unless you think of dampers as a two year lift product).

Even a decent non-adjustable would be better in my opinion (and I don't care if the people that make Pro-Tech think I'm wrong).

try firms like Spax, AVO etc, I'm sure some of them do some for the pre'85, possibly try Mike Taylor as he deals with lots of G body Esprits.

Sorry for my ignorance, but is there a really good reason to change what is probably one of the car's best features?

I do believe in upgrades where the original has become outdated or wasnt good at the start but surely thats not the case with the handling.

I've just done my suspension and kept to original spec springs and dampers. I did go to poly bushes where advised though.

I suppose if you want to adjust ride height, that might be a good reason?

no i don't really want adjust height of my car but my suspension are really old and tired and i must change them.

my manifold crack and after read a lot of post i'm going to change by the stainless sj sportcars one cause i think it's better than the original.

so if the original dampers are good i change for the same, but if the experience of this forum users can help me for fit better one why not ?

i don't want to regret my choices so i ask many questions.

and i thank you all of you for your answers.

Ced