free hit
counters
Engine Bay Noise? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mkelite

Engine Bay Noise?

Guest mkelite

bit of an odd one i know to put answers in words without seeing car but................ can anyone suggest where else a 'vrrrrh' noise may be coming from in our Excel engine bay please? following on from our saga with replacing the cam belt - having thought engine damage following belt loosing teeth - replaced now and runs. whats concerning me is this noise, which i cant exactly locate, when revs go up. has been suggested cam belt too tight but that has provisionally been checked. noise present before pulley belts where put on too. any other suggestions please as in my experience of life ; a noise = another problem. regards all. DC.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If it's not coming from the belts then perhaps it's a bearing - alternator or waterpump?. Add the tensioner bearing to check if you didn't change this when you did the timing belt.

I'm with Gavin on this David. If you had the noise with only the timing belt on and it increases with rpm, do the old screwdriver to the ear test and listen to any rotating item that has a bearing associated with it. Odds are it's a bearing.

Michael

As the belts were not on you can rule water-pump out. I thought the tensioner seemed as though it had another belt's worth of life in it, but it could be that.

Guest mkelite

sorry to go on about this one guys. know it sounds trivial but its bugging me. i want to present the Excel for her first mot for ages n get her back on the road........................... i looked at the tensioner again today and even listened to various areas with one of those mech stethoscopes! yes doctor i think the cars a bit poorly! still cant trace EXACTLY where this noise is coming from. when i put the tensioner back on, it seemed to run around smoothly, cant hear any noise from it etc and apparently it was changed last belt change. so would u suggest i just put another on anyway? just dont wanna keep chasing my tail n u guys have done this n that with ur Lotus so............... thanks again. DC.

The description of the noise (Vrrr) sounds like a belt to me, but if you've had it tensioned correctly then that should be ruled out.

It may be worth trying the belt a fraction tighter (unless it feels as though it may be too tight) and see if the noise alters or reduces.

had a similar noise once, it was the cam belt rattling on the cam belt cover. the belt was properly tensioned, the cover was too close to it

Guest mkelite

thanks again guys. i think the answer is for me to find a good cam belt tension gauge and replace the tensioner itself regardless and take it from there. my prob being i dont have a gauge and dont really wanna keep loosening the belt for this n that n not tighten it correctly. thanks again n regards. DC.

Guest mkelite

...................... and finally trying not to be a total bore - can anyone suggest a car tools website etc where i can get a 'Burroughs' type timing belt gauge please. ta. DC.

Almost afraid to suggest this, but are you sure you have the correct version belt? There are two types of teeth, square and round, if you have the wrong belt for the sprockets, it would make such a noise... and fail soon after! Look closely at the fit between belt & sprockets.

Cliff

Guest mkelite

thanks for that but yes def. the right belt. ive prep'd her for the mot and want to present her for test next week - but still worried about that noise and still have no real bench mark for correct belt tension yet........... regards. DC.

p.s ive just replaced the tensioner bearing too.

Edited by mkelite

Guest mkelite

(just posted this it, didnt show so i'll try again........)

as the roads were quiet early this morning, (sunday), i took the Excel for a drive on the main roads for about half an hour. first time shes been on the road for about three years! seemed to pull ok apart from brakes binding a bit. want to present her for an mot this week or very soon anyway. but still cant locate that noise thats now getting on my nerves. obviously she doesnt have any mot, tax or insurance so want to safely get her to mot station. but that noise is worrying me. also still dont know if new cam belt is set at correct tension. DC.

Well until you bite the bullet and buy a guage you ain't never going to know................

I have two similiar speed related rattles on mine at the mo. One is down to the grill in my Riviera bonnet being loose. I suspect the other one is the radiator mounting, as the radiator assembly isn't completely fixed, i.e. it has play in it at the top. Haven't got round to confirming it yet.

• Like 1

(just posted this it, didnt show so i'll try again........)

The reason why it didn't show is because one of your friendly moderators (who has sent you a message regarding this) was concerned that pubilcly admitting you've taken a car with no tax, insurance or MOT onto the highway is downright stupid and isn't something the Forum could ever condone or encourage.

6 points minimum on your licence and the car potentially seized by the Police for no insurance.

Massive fine and 3 years backdated tax for no RFL.

No MOT is a £60 fine with the potential for VOSA to query whether the car is roadworthy or not - with the inevitable consequences.

Utter stupidity befitting a 17 year old yoof in Vauxhall Nova.

You will need a minimum of third party liability insurance to drive the car DIRECTLY to your pre-booked MOT station (and home again or a place of repair if it fails - but this will not release you from the requirement for the car to be roadworthy). You will not require tax for these journeys as long as the car isn't left unattended on the public highway or somewhere where the public has free access, such as a petrol station or supermarket car park.

But a Sunday morning jolly isn't directly to your pre-booked MOT and I would shed no tears if your were stopped by the police. Thankfully your dodgy brakes didn't cause an accident because I've no idea how you think you would be able to pay for any damage or injury to other people or their property.

Guest mkelite

well thanks again for the sermon and lack of support again. believe me im not totally stupid. i do actually have other insurance that covers me third party and i would never drive a dodgy car with brake problems if it was a concern to others or myself. on that point alone there are thousands if not millions of cars on the road now with many faults that may be a risk to others and the owner drivers are not aware of it. so i think your being a little condescending dont you. gosh i dont know why i bother here. its just a case of some one treating you like an idiot and if your not one of the in crowd you get lots of put you down comments from some. the road was totally empty thats why i went out. im fully aware of the law status and presume from your comment youve never done anything like that before at all. how else can you test something. your being totally authoritive again. no point me coming back here again. thats it, i give up here......i'll find a friendly club to join. bye mr perfect. and i havent recieved any message either. DC.

Well that's your perogative.

What everyone does in private is their business.

What people do in private and then post in public on this forum is a completely different issue and if you can't see that, then more fool you. Don't you realise that insurance companies often log onto user forums to check out claims/ownership details etc? It's not unknown for the Police to do so also.

What do you expect a responsible moderator to do? Sit back and allow the forum to contain admissions of law breaking and consequent accusations about the integrity of the forum? Or just nod and put it down to "well everyone does it".

If you're going to take that attitude to someone trying to do you a favour then good luck!!

believe me im not totally stupid.

But driving without insurance is a very,very stupid thing to do. I'm sure even you would have to admit that. You don't seem unintelligent, yet consider one of the most fundamental rules of the road don't apply in your case.

It's always exciting to get towards the end of a long term project, but for goodness sake, don't cut corners when it comes your and every other road user's safety. No sermon or condescending tone, just a matter of fact caution on information you have put in the public domain. Once it's on the internet it can never be retracted and you have quite clearly stated you drove your Excel today (23rd May and previously on 23rd March) with no tax, MOT or insurance. Madness.

i do actually have other insurance that covers me third party

Good luck if you ever try to claim against that! Think you will find that they will say the car shouldn't have been on the road (no tax, no MOT) and hence is uninsured.

Do a quick google search and find that people have been successfully prosecuted after posting their antics on a web forum. There was the case of the guy who got his wife to take the 3 points for speeding - ended up being prosecuted for perjury and landed a hefty fine; the yoof who posted about driving at over 100mph and ended up being banned.

no-one was being "condescending" just trying to point out that admitting in writing to committing several criminal offences on a public forum is not a particularly wise idea.

You seem to justify your actions by stating that the road was empty. What would you have done should a car appear? You couldn't predict what traffic would appear once on the road.

You can always tell people but you can't always make them listen. I don't know where DC will find a friendlier than this one so good luck to him. If no-one cared, the post would have been left visible so he could get himself in trouble.

The part of the policy which states you can drive other vehicles and be covered third party also states that you cannot own that vehicle or have it on HP. If you own it, it MUST have it's own insurance policy (or be specifically covered under a multicar policy) and as you stated and were aware of you knew that you were driving a car on public roads illegally. What other people have done is of no concern to you as they don't post it online for anyone to read, you have so you will be judged on this.

Posting up on a public forum that you break the law isn't clever, we certainly would like to state out abject and complete disapproval of your actions and distance ourselves from you. We've tried to help you by removing your post but you again posted the same explicit information about what you did.

The forum doesn't have an 'in crowd', you only get treated as people see fit to treat you from reading your past posts on here and especially with what you've posted recently I can agree that treating you like an idiot is perfectly appropriate. Also, you replied to the message I sent you so I'm not sure how you think you didn't get a message.

Since your actions and attitude are no longer something we wish to have on here or be associated with your account is banned, you're no longer welcome. banned.gif