free hit
counters
912 Engine Breather Pipes - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
matk

912 Engine Breather Pipes

Still getting to know my Eclat and it's missing some breather pipe connections. To be fair I knew this when I got the car, but as part of the finishing process I'd like to complete these. This photo shows what I think should be a connection into the airbox.

11042010747.jpg

I know it's difficult to see as well, but in the middle of this photo buried low down, there is an opening of the top of the engine, just in front of the geabox, that is not connected to anything, and seems like it ought to have a pipe on it.

11042010748.jpg

Can anyone help out and confirm what goes where? Ideally if anyone has the 912 set up some photos would be appreciated?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

LOL

Just realised that sounded as off I was going to provide some useful advice following your confirmation.

I was just curious though and have very little more in the way of information to help.

Glad I could be of assistance :thumbsup:

Only other thing is do you have a receptical to take this pipe on the air box? If you do and it's not blocked up then I'd advise doing so until you complete your perminent fix.

The breather feed into the air box is usually post filter and thus dirty air and crap can get sucked in through the hole.

Edited by Simon350S

Hi Matt, the pipe should go to a spiggot on the back of the airbox that looks like it has been cut off and a bolt put in its place, looks to be about 2"s in front of the rubber pipe on the end of the breather, I think I have an airbox with the spiggot still on it in my shed that is my spare, that I could do and exchange deal on as I do not require the spiggot on the application that I have.

Regards Dan

Thanks Dan

I'm not with the car right now. I'll check the airbox more closely tomorrow and report back. If required I'll take you up on your offer.

Hi Matt, I have found an archive photo showing the breather pipe connection to the airbox but cannot upload it due to having no upload quoata left, I have the image saved on pc so could email it direct if you would like. I located the spare airbox that I have and have found that that one too has the spiggot missing, it lloks as if it has been pulled out of the grp, but I could also take a pic of that too.

Dan

I coming back to this on my car and exploring further.

Could anyone help me by explaining exactly what the function of the breather pipes actually are, and what happens to the oil vapour they feed back into the airbox?

Now I've had the car a while, the oil consumption seems stupendous. I've done 4 litres in about 1000 miles. I can't see anything obviously wrong, no blue smoke out the exhausts. I'm guessing that all the oil is being blown out of the missing breather pipe connections.

What's confusing me though, is if the connections were in place, the oil vapour goes back into the airbox, then the carbs, and then into the cylinders, so wouldn't it just get burnt off anyway, i.e. not returned to the sump etc.

I'm prob being daft but just want to understand it a little better, and also hoping that reconnecting the breather pipes will solve this, rather than having something else more serious happening!

You've pretty much summed up what happens. The oil vapour is considered to be a nasty (as far as emissions to the atmosphere and subsequent dripping into waterways are concerned) so it is directed, via the pipework and airbox, into the combustion chambers and is incinerated as you drive.

4 litres in 1000 miles is excessive and means oil is getting out somewhere. If you're not rustproofing your chassis and driveway, then the only other exit is the exhaust pipes. Was the car laid up for a while before you bought it? Sometimes a sticky piston ring (due to lack of use) can contribute to unexpected oil consumption - but I would have thought your trip home would have freed up any lazy rings by now. No plumes of smoke first thing in the morning? No blue haze in your mirror as you nail it up the road for a baguette? What's the state of your rear bumper like?

4 litres in a thousand miles you'd have to see it somewhere, either with a lot of smoke or a lot of dripping.

Graham has summed up the breather already so I'll not bother saying it again.

No trace of blue smoke, and no drips underneath, a very pleasant surprise after the Esprit!! Bumper is fine, and no sooting round tailpipes either.

It had been stood for a long while so the sticking piston ring sounds feasible, but as you said Graham, I've done a fair few miles, so I too would have thought that would have eased by now.

Car is currently off road while I await a new coolant pipe from SJ, and judging by the clonking at the back, I'll need to fit the new UJs I bought at the same time. Once she's up and running, I'll go chasing after some more baguettes and report back!