free hit
counters
Aluminum Lotus shocks + fitment - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
solar350z

Aluminum Lotus shocks + fitment

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has bought the Pro tech aluminum shocks from sjs motorsports. They are quite economical (80 pounds per shock), but i dont know if it will fit because it was made for the

older models, but i was told by the shop owner that it does fit.

Also, can someone tell me if i need a Lotus certified technician to install it or it can be done by any aftermarket performance shops? because i do know you need special tools for the bushings.

Also if the car has about 35k and 13 years of life.....should i change the springs or just the rear or leave it?

- cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does this also count for the AVO's which cost 107.5£ each?

regards,

Peter.

Edited by bosbon_be

I have AVO's on all four corners and I am very happy with them....

I am using stock Lotus springs just the same...

Cheers

If you trawl through historical posts on here you'll find the consensus is they are nowhere near as good as Bilsteins.

Peter, your question about does this also go for AVOs at £107each. Yes, it's worth spending £107 a corner and knowing the car that is worth several thousands of £s will handle as it is supposed to, when compared to spending £80 per corner, knowing it will not handle as well as it should almost immediately, and will reach a point where the handling is so dire that you need to replace them again in less than 12,000 miles.

All,

I fitted Protech's from SJ which on the face of it look good and the price is right. Within 1000 miles i had to firm up the damping as they settled in a little too early and now 5000 miles later I am looking to replace these with better items, probably AVO. Car has been set up on Hunter Hawkeye twice and the weak link is the shocks.

Trevor.

Glad you posted as it has pushed me to sort the shocks out and have ordered AVO's front and rear. £70 front and £110 rear. Should be with me tomorrow. I'll take some pics. I told them I had Protech's fitted and asked about using the springs and was told the front std spring is fine and the rear coilovers will take std or 2.25 springs.

Sparky will be all excited now.

Trevor.

Edited by Trevsked

I will go for the AVO's then. I was looking around to buy some new shock's because I've got a warning from the MOT controller. Leaking rear dampers (1988 originals). He told me, since you don't drive that much and it's an old Lotus and probably dificult to find spare parts, have it fixed for the next years MOT.

Why not fit the Bilstein shocks Lotus have developed for you car? Do you not care much for ride/handling? As far as I'm aware, these protech/AVO shocks are sold to Esprit owners as they happen to fit in the gap where the dampers go, they aren't tuned to the car at all.

Why not fit the Bilstein shocks Lotus have developed for you car? Do you not care much for ride/handling? As far as I'm aware, these protech/AVO shocks are sold to Esprit owners as they happen to fit in the gap where the dampers go, they aren't tuned to the car at all.

I assume it's the big price difference that comes with Bilsteins dampers, why many people don't buy them.

Edited by Exploded

£160 each inc VAT, that's not a lot more and we are talking about a supercar here.

LotusSuspension_Price.gif

Full forum members get 10% off that too, making it even more sensible.

^ Have a look at the image I posted Gert, less than £60 each inc tax.

Thanks guy, this thread definitely saved me from a "fail" suspension and from wasting over $700. Bilsteins is definitely the way to go.

Just to save people a lot of time and effort :

The AVO shocks I was sold did not fit inot the wishbone, nor did they lower enough to allow a standard spring to achieve anything less than +50mm ride height !!

You dont need adjustables imo unless you're tracking.

If I did the job again I would drive to Lotus, hand them about £700 and get them to fit and setup the car as per factory with the bilstien / ebiach stuff (what ever), it'll take a few hours but you will levae with the car set up as per the day it left the factory and how it should be.

As per the link above, then sign upto the forum, get your money back INSTANTLY with 10% from Strattons, bish bash bosh, happy days, luvely jubly, job done.

No brainer really...

I did. Correct me if I'm wrong but i dont't see completed development of shocks and springs for the early TE.

Trevor.

Currently post 85 onwards, pre 85 is still in development.

i fitted the lotus package ie bilsteins shocks and matching eibach springs. worth every penny it totaly transformed the car . i personaly wouldnt go any other route . :construction: