free hit
counters
Accelerator sticking - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Dave Freeman

Accelerator sticking

One of the issues I have had prior to and after the new engine was a sticking accelerator, I have tried everything to cure this but with no success. I think I have found the answer, after removing the seat and adopting the LOTUS position I foound that the arm operating the cable was rubbing againsted the heater box under the dash. The assembly is hard to dismantle so I removed the foor rest and filed a flat on the box and liberally greased it. with the cable detached the pedal moves freely, it was a bit late 1/2 hour ago to fire it up so I will try tommorow night. Its looking good though.

In addition a friend on mine said that he had (if he can find it) a tool which fits to the end of a cable and allows you to pump lubricant into the cable housing, so if my mod does not work I will be trying this - or its a new cable. One thing I did notice for those with a similar problem is that my foot rest, which holds the outercable was badlly bent, making the cable not fully aligned with the clamp that sits some 6 inches away, this I have straightened up so I am happy its not the alignment.

Hope this will help others, in the mean time I will test it tomorrow and let you know.

Dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

another issue is that the clamp that holds the cable sheath, under the carpet, can clamp too tightly and bind the cable inside.

Also, if not adjusted with some slack, the engine growth from heat can pull the cable tight and cause high idle revs.

I actually designed a cable stop to hold the cable sheath much better than the clamp that Lotus used...

P7282111.JPG

P7282112.JPG

Hi Mate, I found the same thing, the clamp has two screw holes, i swapped them around so there is less bend in the cable. The mods I made have worked. The engine revs freely and falls quickly as it should. Simples..............

The new clamp looks good, may do the same if the problem returns, thanks for your comments.

Dave

In addition a friend on mine said that he had (if he can find it) a tool which fits to the end of a cable and allows you to pump lubricant into the cable housing, so if my mod does not work I will be trying this - or its a new cable.

Dave

Sounds like this cable oiler from frost http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8650&frostProductName=Hydraulic Cable Oiler (7mm) Ive just purchased one but not tried it yet. Both fuel filler cables and the choke cable were rusted and unrepairable on the 88 n/a ive just purchased.

Hi Guys,

Wow...... this post is over 7 years old now!

I have an 1989 Turbo SE.

I have a problem with a sticking accelerator.

The problem has only just started but I find that if I use my toe to pull the pedal up; then it reduces the revs to where they should be.

Thoughts?

Cheers Mark

Disconnect the cable from the pedal end to see if it's the pedal, then move on down the line to the engine end and do the same.

I had the same issue on my X180 NA and it was the cable which had split and was fouling on the sheath. 

Did the nice police man believe you ??

The Lotus cable clamp is a really bad design in my opinion. Could have been so much better by just putting an adjustable style stop for the outer cable to stop against like most motorbike cables are fitted.

If I have to fit a new cable again I will be redesigning mine rather than faffing about!

Thanks guys,

Found that the sheath was rubbing against the cam belt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slight damage to the sheath but luckily no damage to the cambelt!:sofa:

Cheers

Mark

It's also not a bad idea to pull out the cable and lubricate the sheath every now and again, it makes a world of difference at the pedal end. Just be sure to use a very thin lubricant.