free hit
counters
Timing belt change: engine out procedure? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bcoupeesprit

Timing belt change: engine out procedure?

Hello all,

I tried to do a search and found a lot of information on timing belts but nothing that said anything about if it is an engine out procedure or not.

So my question to you is: When the timing belt is changed under warranty through Lotus at a Lotus dealer, is it required for the engine to be removed from the vehicle? Or can this service be completed with the engine still installed in the car?

Brian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think you will find that the Lotus service manual says that the correct procedure is to remove the engine to change the cam belts.

Having said this I believe that it is possible (although difficult) to actually change them while the engine is still in the car.

Most people use the opportunity to check other things while the engine is out.

as long as you have an engine lift -my vote is for *engine out* , as said ...there is a good oportunity to inspect for other things as well.. .

On the other hand, it is possible to check timing belt tension and timing set-up in the engine bay (have done both ways so far..) -but as an belt change means you have to work with clean bolts and glue them new in, and recheck for backlash several times -I say it should be easyer to use the half day to pull the engine and use the easyer access to work faster on the rest of the time after that

Hi Brian,

Are you planning on doing yourself or looking for a company to do it at a good price?

Regards,

David Walters

Although it is easier to do and less chance for error with the engine out, every cam belt change I've heard about done by the US dealers here have been done with the engine in-situ. In looking at the Service Notes, I don't see any recommendations for removing it although I may have missed it.

If you have any other maintenance or repair items to do and have the facilities, then pulling the engine does make sense particularly if it's your first time doing it.

I believe the dealer did mine with the engine in. However, if you have other items you wish to inspect/replace, it's likely much easier to pull and do everything where you have full unimpeded access. I imagine its also easier to fit new idlers and tensioners with the engine removed rather than working on your back underneath the engine, or leaning over the top. The course you take is up to your personal preferrence, but I can only imagine engine out is the best way and will likely only take a few additional hours of your time and avoid the use of various colorful phrases questioning the parenthood of the engineers who decided to do things the way they did.

Thank you all for the replies.

I am just gathering information as some places have said engine out and others engine in.

Of course the pricing being higher with the 16 hours ($1760.00) for engine/transmission removal added to the $1500ish for timing belt service.

vs keeping the engine installed and doing the timing belt as per the service manual with no engine removal.

Brian

Hi Brian,

It will help in future if you put your location on your personal information. I am assuming that you are in US.? By putting this info down, we may be able to help you more and even recommend and place to take your car locally.

David

I'm curious where you were quoted $1500. When I inquired about my timing belt service, I was quoted somewhere in the neighborhood of $2200 including belts, tensioners, idlers and labor. Fortunately I was granted a one time replacement including only belts and labor (no idlers or tensioners), so all I ended up paying for were the additional parts. The service department kept the car for about a week, and received a fairly clean bill of health when I picked it up. I just needed to give attention to a couple of additional items, one has been addressed, the other is on standby for the time being as it isn't so critical as to need immediate attention but it too will be sorted when I get funding squared away as well as the time to do it.

Hello all,

I brought this question up as my car still has the timing belt maintenance available under warranty. I believe it might also have a slight leak at the driver side (U.S) head gasket. So a lot of fun to be had that's for sure, haha.

Thought maybe I could save a little on engine removal if in fact a dealership was removing them anyway for replacement of the timing belt. I know it is a lot of work removing the engine from the vehicle and a large chunk of the costs is in labor.

You MIGHT be able to work a deal out with the shop. Labor is labor, and Lotus will pick up labor for the timing belt under good faith. I'd talk to your SA to find out if Lotus can/will cover the portion of labor for timing belt replacement, if you'll pick up the additional labor for the extra work. I believe the timing belt requires 8 hours labor, so they may be willing to drop 8 hours from your final bill as long as you cover the balance. It's worth a shot to ask.

Hi, I had the belts replaced on my car last October at the factory. For your info, they left the engine in.

Cheers