free hit
counters
Burroughs gauge or what else please ? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mkelite

Burroughs gauge or what else please ?

Guest mkelite

hi. sorry. i know this has been asked to death but if i need to change my tensioner and check cam my belt AGAIN i need a gauge so............ after my little cambelt saga and Malc Holmes very kindly testing my new belt tension, ive got that noise and it may be the tensioner. although apparently that was replaced when the last belt was fitted. i cant contact Malc by email or phone and its a bit of a cheek asking people to keep checking my belts! my local garages cant help and many say they dont use a gauge at all! ive looked many times before n cant find the Burroughs gauge. when they do come up seem to go for about £200 on ebay etc. then explored the 'Criket' gauge - been told thats crap. then the Clavis gauge but thats a fortune. twist test is suicidal. SO what do u guys use please? regards. DC.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I thought I mentioned it in a previouspost? - Do a search on Tuneit - Its a method of making a DIY clavis gauge. I sold my Burroughs gauge as I now prefer this method.

Guest mkelite

hi Steve. yes u did but sorry cant find bit your really referring to. ive got a guitar tuner btw! regards DC.

I used one of these David (borrowed) to check my "suicidal twist" method!! LOL

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=9283

Its an exact copy of the Facom tool that was developed for PSA/Renault in France.

I borrowed it from a local garage to me, give me a shout and I'll get it again and pop over

regards

Mark

have changed 4 belts using krikit guage, none have snapped or come off or whined, have read on an excel forum that someone installed the belt and tensioned with kriket, double checked with a burroughs and it was spot on...

it looks cheap, it is cheap,looks crap but it works

Never used anything but Krikit, and never had a problem. Dave - go for it and drive down!

Steve,

What frequency are you using to tension a 910 cam belt and at what crank position?

The only problem with using tools other than a Lotus Burroughs gauge is that different tools can measure tension in different ways and not all use the same calibration. The correct Burroughs setting is 95lbs but the Kricket is 52lbs at the same tension. So one must be careful when using other tool options to make sure you have a correct reference point.

Personally I also use a Kricket because it's cheap, gives repeatable results and has been checked against a Lotus Burroughs gauge.

Guest mkelite

what about the 'universal belt tension gauge' - ive seen here n there? even looks like a Burroughs gauge around £120? i think Malc had this one too? anyone got one or use it. regards. DC.

Jim

30 degrees BTDC

110-112Hz between inlet/Aux pulleys

Steve

what about the 'universal belt tension gauge' - ive seen here n there? even looks like a Burroughs gauge around £120? i think Malc had this one too? anyone got one or use it. regards. DC.

I have Bergen one, nice bit of kit, you don't have a reading in terms of lbs, but as belts are designed to be pretty standard in terms of tension (for a given thickness of belt) you simply adjust until it's at a certain mark. I also have a Burroughs one, but the Bergen one is easier to get in place and adjust without having to hold it.

Guest mkelite

hi Andy. how r u? so how much is the Bergen one n where do u get one please? any website etc pls? when we gonna see ur Europa btw..................regards. DC.

Hi David, I bought mine via Ebay, but the supplier is quite local to me (Cromer).

Europa, erm,well. Is that with or without green, blue and grey mould? Then with or without full sub-frame (aka chassis)?

I have to get the Landy road worthy first, then I have something to tow the trailer with, and am not reliant on other people for that.

Guest mkelite

ok Andy. will look around for one of those as well then...............as for your Europa, well if u want space and can get it up to me, ur welcome to put her in my garage, till you can work on her. (excuse the expression!). then at least i get to sit in a Europa now and again.................... best regards. DC.

Thanks for the info Steve. :)