free hit
counters
Remove the Air Injectors for a 907 ? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bobfogle

Remove the Air Injectors for a 907 ?

Hi Guys:

My S1 restoration has reach the 907 head.

It is fitted with the air injectors - which are blocked with bolts.

None of the air pump bits and pieces remain on the engine when I bought it. And, I don’t plan to buy and refit them.

And, the injector tubes seem to restrict the exhaust gas flow.

Is there any reason why I should not remove the air injectors and plug the openings with a bolts? If OK to remove, is there a proper way to plug rather than bolts?

Any advice is appreciated.

Bob

Edited by bobfogle

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Bob,

If your state does not require the smog stuff then there is no reason at all to keep the injectors in the head. I still had injectors on my S1 when I got it and as SD has no smog requirements they were one of the first things to go. Removal is a straight forward process. Suggest soaking each injector in a lubricating fluid, Kroil or PB Blaster, before taking wrench in hand. Be very gently with the wrench on each injector. Don't want to damage or strip the threads. Once the retaining collar on the injector is undone give the injector a little tap. This should free the injector from any carbon build up inside the head and allow you to pull it out. JAE sell the threaded plugs that you need to insert into the injector ports to blank them off. Not very expensive, perhaps $3 each.

Hope this helps.

Regards Gavin.

I second what Gavin said, word for word. The injectors are likely to have deposits around their outer surface inside the head, preventing you from being able to just pull them out of the holes once unscrewed. It will be like they're loose, you can move them around, but something's holding them on the inside.

Hi Gavin and Tony:

Thanks for the spot-on reply - very helpful. Now I can move on.

Nothing like advice and direction from those who have been there.

You guys are Great!

Regards,

Bob