free hit
counters
Turbo Intake Hose - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thom_77

Turbo Intake Hose

Hey everyone - Since the car is currently getting its clutch done (again), I was going to order a new turbo intake hose for them to install while its in there as well (seeing as my current one is made mostly of duct tape).

The parts supplier said that they're nearly $200 though! How can a four foot length of flexible hose cost so much? Are there cheaper/better alternatives??

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's tapered and available only from Lotus. As far as I'm aware there is no alternative.

If yours is duct tape, that means that it's no doubt falling apart so just remember that the bits that are coming away are heading into your turbo and carbs then cylinders. Replace this pipe asap.

Can't help but think it could be done using a combination of silicone hose pieces. I've considered whether a rigid one might be OK, but that would mean casting one in GRP or similar.

I spent weeks scouring the most obscure hose/ducting/ectoplasm suppliers for an equivalent. Most of them actually fell over laughing. Believe me, it don't exist!

tom,,,i will be in manhatten friday with my s1,,we need to talk,,ps,,im buying,,you,ve spent enough already,,lol,,get in touch

Agreed with above.

If it's falling apart you will fcuk up your new turbo, if it's the spiral winding that's collapsing then you have metal flakes sucking through your turbo, if it's the fabric then that's also not so good..

Again I question your workshop. How can they take so much of your money, replace extremely expensive components, but not insist on the pipe being changed?

Oh, it will be about $150 to install. It's a very complicated procedure involving the undoing, and subsequent retightening of 2 x jubilee clips. These are quite possibly the most difficult part of a car to work on and being that there are two of them it's likely to take a while.

Be prepared for the shock when they produce the labour bill. Just thought I'd warn you.

There is an easier way, if you want to know then get back in touch.

I also know of no other supplier for the hose.

Hi,

I've been looking into this as I have stated above I also need a new hose. I have seen that you can get silicon hoes in different sizes, bends and step downs, Does anyone know the dimensions of the two ends. i.e turbo and airbox and also the length? (Mines on the car and it was a bugger to get back on so dont want to take off at the mo)

Otherwise would it just as easy to mod the airbox fitting so it matches the turbo side then a straight through pipe could be put in, also could the pipe then be metal? I gather the tube should be insulated to keep the air as cool as possible into the turbo? I know some one who can bend the tube for me.

Thanks

Chris

GT3/SE has 80mm air box end, 60mm turbo end.

You can get reducers in silicone from 80~60 iirc on feeBay - use a hose joiner to a silicone type spiral bound from one t'other.

Silicone hoses without re-inforcement will collapse, there is a lot of sucky-sucky when the turbo is on full chat.

Straight through pipe would restrict the turbo and increase it's work load : boost

I believe it's tapered to increase something to do with the pressure drop across the turbo - might be complete BS but thats what someone told me

Bending 80mm stainless or aluminium tube is going to be a nightmare, it'll cost a fortune (I just had some 2" stuff done and it cost a lot)

Your best bet is to do it in heavy walled PVC pipe that way it can be glued or welded - but in all honesty the spiral would hose is best

Mine went south on the GT2 and that's the route I went - spiral wound, hose joiner, reducer, bosh.

I just looked on SJ they have them in stiock for about £80 might just get one from them, b the time I fanny round getting the other bits