free hit
counters
Smoothing the G-body? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
saggitarius

Smoothing the G-body?

Hi out there :-)

I've done some simple "paint"-work with a picture of a normal shape S2 og an original seventies colour.

I suppose there will be divided opinions on this, but just like other sports- and supercars of that era, the Esprit got its share of spoilers, air ducts and other items. Some of these things were probably making it more(ish) realiable and handling better but in my personal opinion the S1 was cleaner and therefore better looking. And the prototype by Giugiaro was even cleaner/smoother/better..

Since I'm in the process of building an S2 "from scratch" I've been thinking about smooting out the shape and looks of the body as well.

And would like to get second and third opinions from other Lotus enthusiasts about this.

Used MS Paint on a low resolution picture, so the final quality is not the best, but should give a certain impression.

Farge01.jpg

Shocked?

Or impressed?

Geir

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ugg! Errr . . . no please don't. The S2 is a beautiful car with lovely clean lines and this wouldn't enhance it. And there aren't many good original S2's left. You may think your car would look great when it's done, but when it comes to sell, you'll most likely have a problem getting rid of it. I guess it's your car and you can do what you want with it, but I would strongly recommend you do not do this.

Edited by Mark Blanchard

Colour's great, but the body mods would devalue the car in more ways than one.. But its your car!

Steve

Guest mkelite

ooops. not trying to get on my soap box again BUT please, please, please leave the Esprit as it was. the S2 is a pure shape and i feel should be left alone............. please. the only thing i didnt like at the time was the black sills which took some of the depth of shape away. as for colour, i can remember specifically seeing bronze and gold coloured S2 cars in that period. best regards and good luck. DC.

Hey Geir,

It's your car you can do what you like! I am bias but I think S2 is perfect as it is and it's the spoilers and bumpers that give it it's uniquely beautiful shape. I always wanted an S2 because I feel it is prettier than the S1 or the S3/Turbo. Of course everyone has their own tastes and it would be a boring world if we all like the same thing. Original S2s are such a rare car now that it would be a shame to lose another. You said yourself you're 'building an S2 from scratch' so build one!

You did ask....

Pete

If you like it do it! Everybody's tastes are different - it's your car & you spent the money so do what makes YOU happy not anyone else.

I can't think of anything more boring than see a load of S2's, S3's all looking exactly the same (i.e. all as they came out of the factory).

I'm all for mods & upgrades and if you ever sell the car in the future then what the heck, they don't go for that much anyway so I would not worry about it 'losing value' too much.

Thanks for the replies :-)

As Pete said: I did ask. And it seems the opinions of all repliers so far is negative to such a modification.

Anyway nothing is going to happen in the first months, and I value other peoples opinion, that's why I opened this "tin of worms" ;-)

I'll also see if more people react to this in the future.

Geir

As you prob know I like things original but as your car is not a complete car etc I think doing what pleases you is ok. Just get it going is the most important. I think if you just got an S1 type spoiler on the front, because as Lotus found you do need something to keep the nose down it would be partly there. If the only real mods to the body would be loosing the ears, and Im sure if you do an engine conversion, modern cooling and fans etc Im sure you can solve that issue some how. I do love the S1 & S2 in original form but doing these mods would only be smallish when compared to the other mods on your car.

All the best

Buddsy (ps I love the Gold colour)

As others have said... It's your car.

I feel that the mods would make it cease to be an Esprit and just become a custom car.

Good luck with your decision.

We already have a member (the Evil Dr. Fish) who has removed the door handles from his Turbo Esprit. As all the reports of the time complained about the "Morris Marina" door handles I don't think that they are a big loss. The loss of the bump under the rear bumper makes me wonder where you are going to put the silencer. That practical point aside I think the rear looks tidier than the factory part. Losing the front spoiler will increase front lift and reduce airflow through the radiator at speed, I believe. As mentioned, the S1 had a blade spoiler under the nose but that was painted black to make it less obvious so removing all front spoilers should not diminish the appeal of the front of the car.

So I say, take the practical problems into considerations and go for it. If it means another immaculate S2 being on the road, albeit in slightly modified form, then it's a good thing.

I see where your going and I think it could be wicked. Clean lines, refined and modelled, with classic grace and elegance. I would still add euro bumpers and the front air spoiler, if only to give it that instant recognisable Lotus look.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Geir,

Have removed the rear bumper from mine and smoothed it out aswell as the rear spoiler, The front of the car I think needs the bumper as it looks a bit strange in the picture,

Regards danny

OK here is another S2 owners view.

I admit there a one or two things I prefer ablout an S1 to the S2 - such as not having the black painted sills as already mentioned, something I will not be keeping when mine is resprayed shortly. I also think the car looks better without the black pinstrip, so I won't be keepeing that either.

However - the things that make an S2 an S2 (front spoiler, ears, rear lights etc) should without question stay (although some might argue with me about the sills and pinstripe!).

I am also a fan of a car for what it is in standard form rather than what it could look like, so I would personally not do the mods. The rear now looks over heavy compared to the front, and I also think come selling you might struggle unless you are dead set on keeping the car forever!

But as everyone else has said...its your car.

Another negative vote here, just to balance, as the "it's your car" votes are starting to stack up! :)

I guess I'm on the side of originality, but I must say while I haven't ridden in an S1 I bet it's a bit quieter,without the ears, than my S2 .

(lots of wind noise at speed). I made it even worse once trying to do a ram air effect (one ear direct to the air box) but the sound of the carbs hissing was a bit much. If one had to have the ears, Lotus did know what they were doing with the intake sonic muffler and running the air across the rear hatch window before being picked up on the other side. (quieter and demisting rear window). I still wish they tried ducting the air from below the car though for cooling on the S2.

Edited by comem47

I'd keep it original but thats just me. I like all the things that make the S2 the S2 but thats probably because I've got one!

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this but its your car! laugh.gif

More negative vibes from me as well - keep it original. Although I agree it's your car (for now) we are only custodians of them for a period of time (long or short). Don't mess with it or the Lotus Police will be round to arrest you!!

Paul.

Original? You are putting a V8 in it correct? I would be careful about the side sills, they help the car in cross winds, other than that it looks good. Typical hot rod stuff, smooth out the body, fill in the seams - just do it well and it will look good.

I'm glad I asked for opinions on this. Getting both opinions on what look good and what doesn't - which is of course always subjective - and also technical and practical advice that's much appreciated.

The plan is to get it on the street in the summer of 2012 - but I know from experience that such plans may have to be adjusted :w00t:

I won't make a decision yet, even if some subtle adjustments will be done. And you'll be the first to know.

Took off my waiste line trim during my respray prep work. The door has a strip just screwed into it to carry the trim. The back arch was in pretty bad shape (most of it came off with the trim!!) so I got the angle grinder out and took it right back. starting to like the way it looks so I may go all the way and remove it all together!!! The back light cowling on the turbo flares out quite a bit so will need a bit more time to get it to look right.

waistelinetrim.jpg

Contrary to popular opinion the two halves didn't spring open nor did the body flex when pressure is asserted to either top or bottom shell. It looks like the inside is already fibreglassed. So I ground out the loose crap inside & I will fibreglass this up flush and see what it looks like when primed up.

I did the same to my 85TE.

There us no flexing of the body... plenty of fiberglass in the seam and just minor fill.... the door seams are "fake" thin trim pieces held in by small pinned screws.

Here is what your side would look like if painted a dark color.

Paul

85TE

94S4

customLotusEsprit-1.jpg

Geir, the S2 car in your picture looks 'unfinished' to me - if you know what I mean...

I went for the route to update the electrics and mechanics but keep the exterior untouched...

My 2 cents.

Its interesting.

If I was going to customise my Esprit, I'd do it like this.

Keep everything that cant be improved - for me, thats the exterior looks, handling(therefore most of the exterior aerodynamics adornments)

I'd change and update everything else - engine, interior, lights, door internals, door handles maybe.

Huge amount of work in itself. I take on board the waist trim issue - would look more modern without it but as soon as its gone, it would begin to cease to look like an Esprit. Same with the bumper and valances/spoilers.

So I guess for me, if I wanted an Esprit for what it is, I'd not do anything. However, if I wanted a base shell to do some special custom mods and any starting point would do, then why not? Its perhaps just a shame that your starting point is a relatively rare car in the first place.

I wonder what Mr G would say or would have done if he had continued styling and updating the G car?

Edited by slewthy

Exterior originality for me is important. That's not to say that I'm going to keep the federalised bumpers, especially the rear. The European front bumper goes back to the original look and is an easy fix.