free hit
counters
ex factory Elite 2.2 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
yamaha_rd500v4

ex factory Elite 2.2

Nearby to me there is an apparently abandoned Elite 2.2 with the factory reg MPW 74V. It hasn't moved for 18 years now, and although overgrown is still in fairly good condition. I'm not interested in owning it but always feel a bit sorry for it and wondered if anyone had any info on it from it's early life to satisfy my curiosity!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

post 1980 Elites with the 2.2's are rare cars. I quite fancy one to add to the fleet at some point, although I'm thinking of dabbling with a racecar.

I believed cars registered by Lotus themselves usually bore a Norwich AH registration? While PW is also East Anglia it differs from the other factory cars I have seen.

Do you have further info on spec? auto/colour, wheels etc?

Thanks

Duncan

Is there anything that makes you think it's a factory car, do you recognise the reg from a magazine etc? Does it have 2.2 badging, I always thought they were W reg onwards? A picture next time you are past might tempt someone to save it.

there are some V plate S2's. I've seen some before.

there are two quick and easy way to distinguish 2.2 elite eclats, the front spoiler is full width,on 2.0s it is a simple little scoop. whilst an owner can retrofit the later spoiler to a 2.0 he cannot change the rear lights which are the rover sdi type on the 2.2, the same as on an excel.

Guest mkelite

i understand sale dates for the Elite S2.2 were from May 1980 to its sad demise in October 1982. only 14 Elites being built during 1982. some records show a sale or two in 1983 apparently. total cars built seems to be 137 or 134 from conflicting info ive found and had from the factory. DC.

I have known it abandoned for years and always thought it was a factory car; PW reg was used on the bond esprit supplied by lotus, and there is also MPW 71V, a press Lotus Essex turbo which is featured in various Lotus books.

MPW 74V is definatly a s2.2 Elite, has the Esprit s2 type front spoiler, vehcile enquiry shows it as 2174cc, first registered on June 3rd 1980 so odds on it's one of the first s2.2's. Its mettalic gold with the eralier type wheels, not speedlines.

The other early S2 on a V plate that I have seen was black and also had S1 type wheels.

Guest mkelite

our 1981 S2.2 Elite was ordered with and still has its original wheels which are the 'disc turbine' types not the Speedlines. i think some S2.2s were ordered with the first type wheels cos there were a few ads and press release pics with those wheels on at the time. buyers always want their car to look as the new car featured in an ad or brochure etc......... DC.

I think the disc turbine wheels (which I rather like) were standard on the Elite in 1980 and you and to specify the Speedlines which were standard on the Eclat - I know not why. The 1980 Calypso Red Elite we had was fitted with turbines for want of a better phrase and 1982 white Riveiera had Speedlines.

I like them both

Guest mkelite

i like both too but the speedlines seem to really suit the S2 Esprit better. the 'turbine' alloys make the wheel profile look more larger and in proportion for the Elite tho. DC.

Hi guys,

What were the original wheels (like on the Series 1) called, does anyone know?

I don't think they had a name, but IIRC they were made by GKN. Always thought they were to restrained.