free hit
counters
Engine lid metal parts or no parts - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine lid metal parts or no parts

Have had my new CF engine lid on the car and am undecided how I want the finish look to be. I know of a few people who drive their carb turbo cars without their engine cover on, purely because they like to hear the carbs and the flutter of the turbo. What I am asking is whether I have to drill holes in my new CF engine cover and fit the metal grill inserts as per original part. I would like to just heat insulate the inner side of the cover and put new rubber seals on it, without transferring all the other stuff. Would be kinda cool looking straight into the engine..

Any thoughts, pros and cons

350.gifNo.23

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Kylie

Regarding your heat shield stuff, I bought a few meters from an auto accessories shop. looks like the same stuff Troy's used on his engine bay here...

http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...pe=post&id=1185

(Link would help wouldn't it...)

Edited by markt

Hi Kylie, long time no hear :(

The aluminium foil was more for radio RFI interference blocking than heat insulation.

If you can hear the FM band on your radio without any buzzes or crackling Id leave it off.

There is also foil under the headliner glued to the inside of the roof(same purpose).

The engine cover screen also serves that purpose and lets heat out and stops people dropping there luggage on the engine and touching the hot surfaces.

If your not going to be doing either of the above , leave it off.

Its rumoured the foil is "Bako Foil" and was supplied by Tescos in Hethel :o:huh:

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Hi Kylie

Regarding your heat shield stuff, I bought a few meters from an auto accessories shop. looks like the same stuff Troy's used on his engine bay here...

http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...pe=post&id=1185

(Link would help wouldn't it...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool thanks, its fantastic!!

Cheers

Kylie

350.gifNo.23

Hi Kylie, long time no hear :lol:

The aluminium foil was more for radio RFI interference blocking than heat insulation.

If you can hear the FM band on your radio without any buzzes or crackling Id leave it off.

There is also foil under the headliner glued to the inside of the roof(same purpose).

The engine cover screen also serves that purpose and lets heat out and stops people dropping there luggage on the engine and touching the hot surfaces.

If your not going to be doing either of the above , leave it off.

Its rumoured the foil is "Bako Foil" and was supplied by Tescos in Hethel :P  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:angry: Bako foil eh!!! Sorry I have been away from here for so long Wayne. Just had a hectic last yr, so have promised to spend more time on the Esprit and catching up with you guys and the banter, now that I am more settled.

Interesting about the radio interference and how it was used for this purpose. I figured that I didn't want to expose the CF to direct heat and anything that may end up on it from the inside, so I thought a thin layer of foil or just the minimum would be great. Am not interested in the thick padded stuff as it will just sit too high and the rubbers wont sit flush. :)

350.gifNo.23

Hmmm, putting aluminium tape on the underside will reflect heat back in. I'd be more worried about the area near the turbocharger to be honest - if you're blatting it then it's going to get red hot, litterally - mine glows quite happily after a run.

I'm not sure on the earlier car's covers but the later ones have ducts that help shadow incoming air over the turbo (good reason not to leave it off) and this is guarded by some sort of fibre heat shield (looks like asbestos :blink: ).

I have a feeling the Ali foil will not stand upto this temperature.

If it were my cover (and it is a bloody nice piece of kit) I'd do the tape thing for the time being and see how it holds up over the majority of the engine...you can always peel it off or repair parts of the tape which is the beauty of the stuff.

I'd then look into attaching some of that flexible heat shield stuff around the area adjacent to the turbo - some of this modern heat shield cloth can withstand huge temperatures - I'd assume you could glue it in place with a decent impact adhesive, the glue shouldn't melt under the shield...that's if you don't want to drill and rivet / screw it on.

I'd then be checking the condition for the first few miles to catch any problems before they take off - I've never dealt with CF so I don't know what it's like with heat (perhaps someone else knows ?), but as I say it's the turbo that would give me the most concern.

Pic of the job I did on the rear luggage compartment floor, I coppied Carl's suggestion :angry:

bf0001.jpg

facebook = [email protected]

Looks amazing - pitty you can't lose the rubber seals :angry:

I'd be tempted to have a go at running a bead / gasket of black silicon sealant around the bottom (surrounds of the engine) as opposed to attaching a seal to the CF.

You could also silicon on the top hatch as well to ommit the top seal you have there, that the CF is totally free - just an idea.

That way when you close the rear hatch it will sandwich the cover onto the silicon seals which are on the interior not on the lovely carbon fibre :blink:

Looks amazing - pitty you can't lose the rubber seals  :lol:

I'd be tempted to have a go at running a bead / gasket of black silicon sealant around the bottom (surrounds of the engine) as opposed to attaching a seal to the CF.

You could also silicon on the top hatch as well to ommit the top seal you have there, that the CF is totally free - just an idea.

That way when you close the rear hatch it will sandwich the cover onto the silicon seals which are on the interior not on the lovely carbon fibre  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it does look very industrial and tried it on without the seals initially, but theres quite a gap to fill, so I reverted back to getting some height out of the seals. A small bead of silicon etc I think wouldn't be enough. I never really thought of buying a sexier looking rubber seal, just went for the same stuff....BORING!! :blink:

350.gifNo.23

If I've read the posts correctly about the concerns about the heat from the turbo and the ali tape standing the heat. I can state that I have totally recovered the whole of the understand of the boot floor including the vertical part that faces the turbo and engine as well as the engine cover and it is all still perfect with no flaking or peeling. Considering I've done quite a few solid drives since I did this mid summer. Although I do agree that it is surprising that this tape seems to cope without a problem with the heat from the turbo.

There was a previous thread discussing the pro and cons of re-covering the engine bay in reflective tape. IIRC it was some what inconclusive. Bottom line for me is that it should help prevent some level of heat soak and help reflect the heat energy around until it reaches the outlet vents.

One thing that surprised me is how effective the tape does reflect heat. In mid-summer I was outside doing the recover and had completed about half of the boot floor. It was a warm sunny day and I happened to put my hand on the side that I had already re-covered it was literally cold to touch. In comparison to the other uncovered black half that was most definitely warm to touch.

Spot on Jon, exactly as I've done. Nice job. :blink:

My vertical bit has 2 heat shields to deal with the turbocharger.

Give it a go - but I'd check it regularly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My vertical bit has 2 heath shields to deal with the turbocharger.

floor.jpg

Give it a go - but I'd check it regularly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So Jonathon is that the foil self adhesive tape you have on this, the stuff you buy from the hardware shop? Looks really good and really all I need too. I actually think I have a roll cruising around home somewhere...? :blink:

350.gifNo.23

So Jonathon is that the foil self adhesive tape you have on this, the stuff you buy from the hardware shop?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep that's it, it just helps reflect the heat back in.

Paul - I very much think it is standard, the under sheet is cast to fit the stainless sheet on top and the curve etc - none of my previous owners would have given a crap enough to have done anything like this :blink: