free hit
counters
That was eventful! - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
oneshot

That was eventful!

Well....

It all started at around 6pm in central Manhattan - we jump in a taxi to go to JFK. This journey takes around 1.5 hours due to an accident making all the roads a car park.

Fortunately we had left enough time so that we weren't in a rush.

We then go to check in - we were flying Virgin Atlantic and were travelling Premium Economy. The lady does a few things on the computer and disappears with our passports!

When she comes back she finishes checking us in and I noticed on the boarding cards that we weren't in adjacent seats. I mentioned this and she said Oh no - they are opposite each other - we have upgraded you to upper class :)

Taking off whilst sitting reclined in the seat with your feet up facing sideways is certainly a new experience for me.

Once in the air - a meal was called for - no chicken or beef here - instead we had pork medallions.

After that another new experience - convert the chair into a 180o flat bed and get some sleep. First time I have really slept on a plane.

Woken up around 2 hours before touch down with breakfast in bed. Decided to check the news on the entertainment system only to see that Sky were reporting that all London airports were closed. Our estimated landing time was 11:35am.

The Captain came on the radio and said that he was still being directed to Heathrow albeit via a more southerly route.

We landed at 11:55am and apparently were one of the last planes to land before the UK airspace was closed.

Talking to the lady at the UK Border Agency she said that had we not made it we would have ended up in France!

So all in all a fairly eventful return journey!!

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

glad you got home safe, did you get the virgin PJ's? nice to be upgraded with out asking or paying..

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Wow - we shut the lot down at 1200, so you were incredibly lucky!

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Wow!

Glad you are back and it did not affect your holiday mate!

:)

Me and Vicki are flying to New York on wednesday (21st) for a week so i'm hoping it will be OK, i've also got tickets to see The Specials in NY too so i'll be gutted if we have to cancel/rescedule/go another time. But there you go, i'd rather be in my local saying 'oh well' over a pint, than hundreds of miles from land in a plane with failed engines, going speedily downwards.

Much as i lament it might affect my holiday, fair play to the people that call the shots, thats a lot of money lost to secure everyone is safe.

:)

NY will still be there whenever we go.

Hmmm well I should ave been flying back into Heathrow this evening and who knows when I will get back...will I make it in time for the ACE?? :blush:, still client paying,,,,,so far :)

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

Well still no news, but several colleagues flights have been cancelled too, not to mention some of my clients...I can feel a road trip coming on :blush:

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400