free hit
counters
Best vehicle for 5 in Canada - Topics - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JaguarGR3

Best vehicle for 5 in Canada

Hello! I would be very grateful for some advice. I am serving in the UK military and am posted to Canada this summer, to Toronto. I will need to buy a vehicle for my family and was after some considered opinions from people who clearly know their vehicles!

To be honest I was just Googling but stumbled across this site which I have to say is excellent - very refreshing to read thoughtful, considered, balanced and articulate posts. To the point though...I will need to pick up a family vehicle in short order when I arrive, hence I'm researching now in advance. I have just recently sold my Discovery 2, which I liked but it doesn't have the most room in the world for 3 growing children (13, 11, 9, and growing like weeds!) in the middle row, so I am looking at the options. I will want to be able to travel decent distances in comfort and have enough room for gear to have weekends away...or run the children + friends around, i.e. the option of 5+ seats is useful. Safety is, naturally, a prime consideration. Looks are secondary but let's not discount them entirely! Traction control/4x4 might be useful in the winters.

I'm torn between MPV/4x4, or maybe a 'Crossover' - which I must confess I hadn't heard of until I started researching. Any advice would, of course, be gratefully received - especially as I am not terribly familiar with the north American market or all of the models available. Cheers, JS

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well.. I'm actually a car salesman as well.. The crucial thing that you need to know is what kind of money you want to invest into said vehicle. Do you want new or used? Do you expect to put on large amounts of mileage or small? Things like this are the most crucial to help decide what you want. For example.. if you wanted to spend $20,000 now with the chance to get back most of what you've invested in 2 years when you go back and you're not expecting to put on great mileage, but don't want to spend any significant money in maintenance.. I would likely suggest a toyota 4 runner or a Nissan Murano (a little smaller than the 4 runner, but this depends on how much cargo you plan to take.) However, if you planned on spending $10,000.. I would likely suggest an older Rav 4 or Honda CRV... unless you needed more size, in which case I would suggest a chrysler pacifica (probably not the most reliable of the group, but certainly the most luxurious.) What kind of necessities do you think you have at the moment?

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Thanks Mark - I should have indicated my requirements more precisely although your assumptions are very close. I was looking to buy something 2-3 years old - let the worst of any depreciation take effect but still be low enough mileage to be reliable and incur minimal maintenance costs. My target is exactly the £10-20k bracket. £24 is a max ceiling and I expect to pay around £15k – anything less would be a bonus. I expect to do some long journeys to make the most of my time there but probably quite infrequently so overall I would say average mileage. We always seem to have a car full of gear if we go anywhere, and want to make the most of the great outdoors so we'll be off on camping trips, so a decent load capacity would be great although I can always supplement that with a roof box. There is obvious advantage to the car retaining its value as we will be leaving after 2-3 years as you deduce. Very many thanks for such a helpful reply.

Hey Mark!

Good to see you back on the forum! Where the heck is all the other Canadians that used to be on here?

27 days and counting!, you know what I mean Mark!

Serge

Sign in to follow this