free hit
counters
Where to buy Burroughs Gauge or similar please? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mkelite

Where to buy Burroughs Gauge or similar please?

Guest mkelite

can anyone please advise best place or tool supplier website to buy a Burroughs gauge or very similar? many thanks. DC.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This area of the forum is for technical questions regarding the engines of these particular models so is in essence the wrong place for this post, hence the lack of people reading it, therefore replies.

Put a post in the 'General Motoring' section, you'll have more chance of a response in there.

Dave Bean has them @ $395USD

David - at great risk of your not reading this one(!), I've been doing cambelts for over 30 years, most of them by instinct and deflection, and have NEVER had one slip or snap. For Lotus, I use a Krikit, which is eminently up to the job if you have a modicum of common sense. For info I've recently done a couple of Lotus belts that were so loose that I was able to dismount them with thumb and forefinger, and they drove miles to me.

The Burroughs gauge is a monstrosity with a ludicrous price tag. Don't believe all the scare stories you read!

(Dons flak jacket/hard hat)

Guest mkelite

hi Gary. how r u? thanks for that. i was actually expecting someone to say that. but thats the prob for me. someone like u has that experience and i just had that nightmare with my cam belt saga so dont wanna get it wrong. many have said about the krikit gauge and i know many do use it. the manufacturer told me it wasnt any good for cambelts ironically! all i really need its a goal post to set by cos i think i need to replace the tensioner as im still a bit nervous about that noise. i know u think im prob being over cautious but just wanna get sorted. so any other suggestions please. regards. DC.

Sounds like a road trip to me! Got the bottle to bring it down? Or I can come up, but it might be a week or two, Iceland/NATS/BASSA/Unite/my boss/my sanity permitting... :)

Guest mkelite

i know u think im a right nancy Gary! she aint got no mot yet thats y i wanna sort this. ive put new rad and 'box cooler in, checked brakes, etc etc and just wanna get that noise identified thats all.................... a couple other jobs n take her for test. then start on the Elite! regards. DC.

No probs mate - let me see what I can wrangle...

Guest mkelite

hey Gary. i dont expect you to come n sort my probs out BUT your are more than welcome to drop by if your passing anytime. thanks again and regards mr fixer. DC.

Guest mkelite

hi Dan. how r u? good to see ur here. i think i'll put the replacement bearings / tensioner on n take it from there. ideal answer is a frequency meter really. i know u all think im fretting too much! when ive done the other bits and presented her for an mot, i'll ask at a garage somewhere. look forward to seeing more of your help here Dan. let us know how your racings going. best regards Dan. thanks. DC.

might get shot down for saying this!! i have changed many a cambelt including my own esprit and never used anything what so ever for checking the belt tension. i always check/change the tensioner/bearings and just tension the belt until i can twist it half a turn. never had a belt fail/slip and never had any issues with any unusual noises. might just be worth changing the tensioner bearing and see how it goes. seems to me like spending a lot of money on a gauge for nothing

Guest mkelite

hi Robin. your absolutely right. i thoroughly agree with all you say. my hesitation is cos i come from a bcakground where if something is supposed to be precise u dont wet ur finger n put it in the air. eg. why torque tighten and check everything else on your expensive engine rebuild then just pop the cam belt on and 'thats about right'. doesnt make sense. and yes i know thousands put cam belts on and dont check with a meter cos theyve got that experience. i appreciate that. but i havent done lots of cambelts and my car sat in the garage for ages having shed cam belt teeth and every Lotus 'guru' was telling me 'engine knackered mate, valves said hello to tops of pistons, valve guides gone' etc. i thought i'd try a belt anyway n she fired up. so now thats y im a bit nervous, got this far dont wanna cock it up more. can u understand that? im not going out n buying some expensive bit of frequency testing kit btw. best regards. DC.

right. i know what you are saying makes sense. its just when you have done a few you just sort of get used to knowing how tight it should be and becomes habbit. good look i do hope you get it sorted. Rob

Guest mkelite

thanks Robin. cos when ive done the Excel i wanna start on the Elite S2.2 we have.............................. regards DC.

Robin,

Hate to disagree but you are either extremely lucky or extremely good. Tensioning by feel is way too subjective to be reliable for most experienced mechanics let alone the do it yourselfer who does it once every couple of years. And the consequences are extreme if you get it wrong one time.

I've tensioned 910 cambelts plenty of times and it only takes a 1/16th of an inch turn on the tensioner nut to make a big difference in the final reading using a gauge. What you do with your own car is your business but I would never encourage someone who is looking for advice on how to tension a cam belt to just twist the belt and risk your engine. It's not even half a turn as you say, it's 90 degrees twist which is a quarter turn.

I don't mean to be harsh but people coming on a forum looking for advice should get good info on the correct way to do a job particularly with something as critical as a cam belt.

Rant off....