free hit
counters
Power problems, black smoke, ! - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
espritpassion

Power problems, black smoke, !

Dear All

unfortunately using my GT3 sometimes, the power problems are the same!

Last time, I drove in highway after maybe 80/100 km the car starts to run strange: JERK runned like "jerks", loose of power and revs, then suddenly I got torque and power. When the car was JERK black smoke come out looks like a chimney

The Yellow Engine light when the car start to run crazy (:, it turn ON on the dashboard, but when it runned ok after the problem the light turn OFF (the problems is intermittent)

My tour was of around 400 km (200 go / 200 go-back), the same during the trip back to home!!!!!

my car run bad like many of you know,

Unfortunately freescan not work on my car good I have really little electrical fault very difficult to sort out, so do a log not possible, now bought a little tablet pc a Viliv with XP and hope to try to connect it and do a log (but I think that do a log is not possible on my car with freescan)

what you think?

I read a other topic about the "no power" seems different problems but we say: "fatto 30, facciamo 31" > "made 30, 31 do" I changed and checked many on my GT3 not changed the Turbo and the wastegate,

maybe O2 sensor problems? (thats changed some years ago)

Goodbye and thank you a lot

Alessandro

Edited by espritpassion

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Black smoke is soot/unburned fuel or too fuel mixture too rich.

Think along the lines of too much fuel and not enough air.

There's a multitue of things it could be, from a hose leak / block - turbo damaged - sparking plugs, leads, ignition module and so on...

You have to sort this freescan thing out, it's imperative to finding out what's wrong !

My initial guess is o2 Sensor but again without freescan telling you what is wrong you're guessing and guessing could mean lots of money.

Thanks Jon for your reply!

I will try somehow to active the freescan but I doubt that it will do a log correctly for my electrical faults.

However hope to get a little log and hope it can explain my problems.

The car will store any fault codes, these will be mroe useful than a log for the time being.

Even if the light is off, it should show you what faults have been recorded.

Thanks for yours reply

checked via freescan, so the error code stored is 44 - Oxygen sensor circuit; Lean Exhaust indicated

hope thats will be useful

Edited by espritpassion

Funny, same thing happens on my GT2 (SE turbo) at the moment.

I discovered one of the 4 wires coming from the oxygen sensor was broken.

Check the wires and the plug (they sometimes can fall near the turbo which is VERY VERY hot and can easily melt the wire.

Check the sensor is screwed into the exhaust pipe and not loose.

Other things to check...

Check your fuel lines and ensure there is no reason the car isn't gettting good fuel pressure,

Check for misfires - check the leads and plugs are OK

looked fast on the engine bay:

the O2 sensor seems ok, maybe the plug is not 100% ok, I seen the red wire like scorched and the plug moves some

I think that it's ok, but I will check with a voltmeter

I can try to swap the O2 sensor with my old sensor changed 3 years ago

on the photo you can look at the exhaust pipe when the car runs bad, (look also on the floor)

bye

Alessandro

Yeah thats not good, you should call it 'Sooty'

Swap the O2 over, if the fault persists then it's likely not to be the sensor.

Definatly check the ignition - make sure you're firing on all cylinders.

thanks Jonathan for your comments

yes its "Sooty"

I will try to swap the o2 sensor and will test the car.....

what about check the ignition and how be sure that all cylinder firing??

I know how I have done it in the past - not sure if it's a good idea though.

On my old car (not Esprit) I removed the fuel fump fuse so the car didn't squirt petrol into the engine and then removed the plugs one at a time.

Take the plug and push it back into the lead and then using a rubber glove (10,000 Volts of the lead hurts a bit) and holding the lead NOT the plug you put the sparking plug case into a metal (steel) part of the engine and then get somoene to start the car, you should see the plug sparking - repeat for all plugs.

The fuel is disconnected so the car wont actually start and wont go BANG when you try and re-start it propperly.

That should test the plugs and the leads.

Whether thats an approved idea I dunno...but thats how I did it... :)

Thanks for your idea, maybe an hard way, Im little afraid to not do bad things! however I undestand the way

Another item to check.

You are getting an Error Code 44: Oxygen Sensor Lean Exhaust Indicated. However you are showing signs of running quite rich in the AFR ( Air to Fuel Ratio ) evident by the sooty condition of the garage floor and the exhaust tailpipe tip. One cause of this can be a loose or cracked manifold, or an exhaust leak prior to the O2 sensor. As each cylinder follows through the exhaust stroke and pulses out through the exhaust valves into the manifold, wastegate, and tail pipe it can actually, by Venturi principle, suck in fresh air from the engine bay through the loose or cracked manifold, or exhaust leak. As that air mixes with the exhaust it is then "read" by the O2 sensor as having too high of an O2 level and the ECU will add more fuel to compensate that misreading and thus causing a rich fuel situation. ( Basically the only job the ECU does is to assure that the AFR maintains a peak 14:1 ratio of Air to Fuel )

I would also check the exhaust manifold for cracks, loose manifold nuts or studs or even missing gaskets, also the connection at the turbocharger and the catalytic converter down pipe before the O2 sensor.

Once the problem is sorted remember to change the oil and the filter as the excess fuel dumped into the cylinders have washed down the oils in the wall and will have gone into the oil also in most cases.

Edited by cjtpb13

I will check and thanks for your adverts, maybe the problem is not there but I will check with the max attention

may be relevant, but may not!

recently witnessed intermittent sparking of single cylinder. i identified root cause to a leaky npn darlington transistor within ecu that is the o/p stage driving the coil. replacing the transistor fixed the issue.

Alessandro, I just had basically the same symptom as you last week while in Germany. When I got back home I Replaced my O2 sensor and that fixed the problem. She runs strong again…

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33645-going-to-germany/

Edited by fsrowsell

Thanks for sharing that Info Chris.

Although I dont have symptoms as extreme as Alessandro, I do get some build up of carbon on the exhaust and the car does tend to cough it out on start up some times. I suspected the O2 sensor could be at fault but also that possibly a leak into the exhaust manifold could potentially have the same result.

Good to see I was thinking on the right lines. I will need to strip back the sheilding underneath and try and have a through inspection underneath on the manifold.

Anyone got any top tips for manifold inspection?

swapped the O2 sensor and tested the car 2 times on highway, not problems, but I need to check more !

however remain the fact that I think that the car maybe is fast but not quickly, not the real engine power :)

thank you all !