free hit
counters
S4s Rear Springs & ABS problemscan anyone help? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
G_Reaper

S4s Rear Springs & ABS problemscan anyone help?

Hi Everyone,

On preparing my S4s for the road after being laid up I have noticed the drivers side rear is sitting lower than the passenger side, and lower than the rest of the car for that matter. Does anyone know what colour code or part number the rear springs should be for an early S4s?

I also am getting the ABS warning light flashing after a mile or so, the pump on the ABS pump seems to run fine but the brake pedal seems very firm and wooden almost like there is no vacum assistance been given to the brakes.

Can anyone help please?

Regards Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Doubt the spring would have collapsed, check to see whether it has 1st or whether there is damage to the cup on the damper.

More likely the tyre :)

I had the same ABS light problem hich comes up after some time and my brake pedal was firm as well. I tried to bleed the brakes manually and with the Tech1, but in the end nothing worked. So I changed the ABS pump and I didn't regret that for a moment. All problems where gone!

My Topic

Edited by Exploded

Gert,

Didn't you just replace the accumulator? Replacing the pump would be a real expensive ordeal.

Hi

Thanks for the response.

It is sitting low on the back driver side corner the spring is not broken and there is no damage to the spring cup etc as the car was standing level when garaged/parked up 3 years ago. The car has been regularly started and moved about in this time.

The ABS was also fine when garaged so I am hoping it is either a bad/dirty connection faulty switch etc. I have read on the forum about cleaning the presure switch on the ABS pump is there a detailed description about how to do this on the forum some where?

Cheers Mike

Edited by G_Reaper

Try jacking the car up, then dropping it and see if that changes anything (roll the car back and forth as well)

Jump on each side to see if the damper is OK.

Dampers can have a small affect on static ride height as they assist the spring in stopping the car going down, you might have a leaking one or corroded through, easy to spot as that side will bounce like a bouncy thing.

Measure the distances between the chassis and the cup (ie the length of the spring) and compare it to the other side, there will be some physical difference between the 2 and thats what you want to look for and tell about. Also measure from the floor to the lower and upper damper fixing to see where the problem lays.

How far are we talking about here ?

Doh, it's separate on the V8 and I was looking for it on the 350 recently!

Gert,

Didn't you just replace the accumulator? Replacing the pump would be a real expensive ordeal.

I'm sorry Jim, you are right. I only changed the accumulator, where was my mind while typing my previous reply...:)

Hi

So replacng the accumulator solved the problem?

I thought the accumulator was just a presurised reservoir tank?

Cheers Mike

Hi Everyone,

Having read the manual about the ABS system, I depresurised the system by pumping the brake pedal 40 times. To be honest by the feel of the pedal the accumulator seemed empty after about the 8th pump of the pedal but I kept going until 40 pumps had been completed.

I then turned on the ignition and timed the length of time the ABS pump was running. I did this whole proccess 3 times and on each occaision to empty the accumulator appeared to take approx 8 pumps of the pedal and to re fill the accumulator the pump only ran for 8-10 seconds. I further noticed that when driving the car just about every push of the brake pedal sets the ABS pump running briefly where the manual states it should be able to assist approx 5 brake operations before needing to top up the accumulator.

I suspect the presure switch. Does this match up to anyone elses expierience? If it is the presure switch are these readily available and is there a description on this forum anywhere on how to clean/replace a presure switch?

Cheers Mike

Sounds like the pressure switch.

The accumulator is a Nitrogen filled bag stuffed in a metal container, as the pump fills the container it has to work against the 'balllon' inside as it compresses the gas.

So when the accumulator goes the gas escapes (usually down to water contamination of the brake fluid which is why it's so important to change it every 2 years and not ever 20 years when the car comes to service mileage !) - no gas means the pump would find it easy and also time consuming to reach pressure - probably 5-10mins of running, it might never reach pressure actually.

The accumulator is simply there to save the pump coming on and off every brake press and to extend the life of the pump.

When you're pumping the brakes to de-pressurise you say it only take a few pumps, becuase there is little to no pressure in there. That could mean switch or accumulator BUT coupled with the fact the pump is cutting out very soon indicated it's almost garaunteed the switch (which controls the pump on/off) is reading under what it should and stopping the pump far too early.

You're likley to have poor brake performance as well - so I'd sort this out asap.

Dont what ever you do drain the system dry of brake fluid - I spent about a week re-bleeding the system after I made the mistake - they are notoriously hard to bleed without taking the whole master cylinder / ABS unit off and bench bleeding !