free hit
counters
Fuel Economy / Fuel Efficiency MPG or L/100km - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
psteinb

Fuel Economy / Fuel Efficiency MPG or L/100km

What is the Fuel Efficiency of your Lotus?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A man walked into a Rolls-Royce shop, looked around and kicked a few tyres.

The salesman walked over and asked "Can I help you sir?"

"Nice car," The man said. "What kind of mileage does it get?"

The salesman replied, "If sir needs to ask that, sir can't afford one."

:)

The mileage on my 1980 Turbo Esprit stinks!

40 Litres per 100km (6mpg)!

Is there something wrong with my car or is this what we all experience?

I look forward to hearing what your fuel efficiency is... ?

Edited by paul steinberg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

On the 4 or 5 tanks I have checked it, I am getting about 21 MPG (US) driving to work on the freeway in rush hour traffic on my 84 TE.

Cheers Jim

PS my Rolls get about 13 MPG on the highway.

Edited by s2_esprit

On the highway in S1s, I average from 26.1 miles per gallon to 30.9 mpg. Dependent on weather, road, speed, how loaded down the car is, etc. I'm talking mostly/all highway here (i.e. long trips). Average for highway seems to be about 28. :cry:

Yes, there must be something the matter with it....unless you habitually use the throttle as an on/off switch and use all the revs and boost all the time...I typically get 450+ miles starting from full tanks, typical run from the UK to France at 80+ mph on the autoroutes...book figure for the Turbo is 23 mpg, iirc.

I keep thinking my 1988 carb turbo has a massive hole in the petrol tank. I haven't checked mpg but its not very much and thats on highest octane petrol. Just one of the joys of ownership and best not to know these things otherwise you start to worry - or my wife would start nagging me

I've done 5 tanks in the GT3, a complete mix of top speed driving, thrashing the nuts off and cruising on motorways at 65mph and a bit of town work yielded average of 20.6mpg which is not as good as I thought (best 22.4, worst 17 LOL, I was whipping the old girl though on that run).

Be interesting to see what new injecotrs yield (if they ever come here) and incidently my car does 2mpg better on Sainsbury's fuel than it does with Shell (overpriced) V power.

Before anyone starts crying about "it's a super car, stop worrying about the MPG" I'm only doing it as an exercise in curiousity :lol:

I had a feeling something was wrong with my calculations...

I've done some test-runs with the car and a GPS and it appears there is an error in the instrumentation. The odometer is reading approx 30% less than actual kilometres travelled - e.g. If the odometer reads that i've travelled 10km, then in actual fact i've travelled 15km. However, the speedometer is definitely correct (although sometime last year the speedo gauge developed a 'ticking' noise).

So apart from generally keeping my total kilometres travelled down, i don't believe there to be a significant problem any longer with the fuel efficiency. Taking into account the margin of error I've roughly calculated that I am getting around 20L/100km (or 12MPG) - which is satisfactory.

Edited by paul steinberg

I would say that 12mpg is indicative of an issue (unless you drive like a madman!) On the road I get at least 20 mpg on a run. That would typically be at an cruising speed of 90mph with a few higher overtaking blasts. I would be interested to see if you are running standard main jets.

I've just completed a new test run over ~200km city/highway driving and I can now say that my petrol efficiency is now a fairly accurate

14.7L p/100km

16 MPG

So I'm pretty happy. I just need my odometer rectified so it shows me my km's travelled more accurately.

Thanks for everyone's input. I look forward to seeing more people submitting their vote...

Edited by paul steinberg

I'm sure I'm not alone in being a bit confused by Paul's post's here. You are being told that you can expect up to mid 20's MPG but you are happy with 16 MPG!!!!

I have a '88 Turbo and can get up to 26 MPG on a run if I take it easy (ok, a lot less if I push it). If I was getting 16 MPG I would be taking it to the garage.

Paul, would you mind explaining why you are not concerned about such a relatively large difference in fuel use. If you think of it in "normal" car terms it's like a car you expect to do 50 MPG giving you 30 MPG.

Rich

Main reason I do MPG apart from curiosity is to judge a problem if it arises.

16MPG indicates a BIG problem imo for a 2.2l car weighing little over a ton.

Convinced mine has a fuel leak, the smell really gives it away becuase it used to do 50+ more miles to a tank.

If you have a fuel leak you can have a fireball on your hands esp with the pre-injection cars.

I still cant understand how a 3.5litre V8 twin turbo supercar can get 22 MPG...

(fwiw my little puggy puddle hopper got 33 MPG last fill - 1.6l 16v ~ 120hp, but in fairness I do rag the tits off it)

it sounds to me like most of the answers given in this topic were based mostly on highway driving, whereas my usage was at least 50% city driving, thereby significantly reducing my efficiency.

my assumption therefore is that if i take it out on a highway run my efficiency will increase significantly and put it somewhere inline with what everyone else reports e.g. >20MPG ... I'll give that a test run soon and let you know.

Until then Rich, don't get your knickers in a knot.:D

(also one reason i was relieved with 14LP100k is because at the beginning of this topic i thought i was at 30-40LP100k!)

One more thing - about 3 months ago i opened the engine bay after a 10km run and there was petrol dripping from the lid. GREAT. I immediately took it to my mechanic Steve at the elan factory and he changed all the seals in the carbs - problem solved, and the car doesn't have the same smell of petrol fumes anymore (and now i carry a fire extinguisher too!). So my fuel economy has been getting better and better and better over the last few months.

Edited by paul steinberg

My Green one (Green Party) (standard carbs) does around 12 litres per hundred kilometres, whereas my red one (Labour Party) (Aftermarket EFI) does 10 litres per hundred kilometres.

In fairness, it does depend on how you drive and driving conditions. Over here we have rather empty roads, no traffic jams and more or less constant speeds on the open road. When I was young my throttle only had two positions, I am the first to admit that I was a menace on the road, but in the early 60's there was not too much traffic on the roads of England. I still enjoy putting foot, but will never put my Esprits at risk. I love them far too much.

Hi folks,

My '77 has averaged around 30 mpg highway since new. Around town, the milage drops to around 20. I've been running medium grade fuel. Never tried to use highest test gasoline. In my 2008 Honda Civic winter car, I've run the same medium grade. Get around 33 to 34 mpg highway. With regular gas, it dropped to 30 to 32. Anyone achieved similar results?

Lyn

Lyn, I've always noticed slightly better MPG with higher-grade fuels in pretty much every vehicle I've driven. The difference isn't much- and difficult to notice if I'm not actually calculating MPG- but it's there.

Now as for Esprit MPG, my Bosch-injected Turbo gets about 14 MPG (US) pretty much all around. I do admit to being a bit sporty with it, but I'm also still sorting it from the neglect inflicted upon it by the previous owner. It does still need a bit of tuning, but is quite fun even in its current state.

Guest surferphil

I think US and UK Gallons are not the same ammount of liquid!? Making the poll and comparisons false? Litres should be the same though. :getmecoat:

Guest surferphil

12 MPG isn't quite so bad in the US then!

I should really replace the fuel tanks and see if that's better. :construction:

My '87 HCi car averages around 18mpg. If Im getting into it more, it drops to 14/15 mpg. If its all highway cruising, I can get 22mpg easy. The car is incrtedibly good on fuel when compared to other exotics & performance cars. That 4-banger does have some value, huh? :thumbsup: